Buying Long Range Rifle, Suggestions???

EVILGTP98

Maybe I missed it. What are you going to shoot? If it is small (Ground hog) I would go .25-06 or .22-250 They are both screamers. The .25-06 is good because if you do hunt deer in a state that has rifle hunting, I think most say you have to have at least .25 cal. That makes the .25-06 a good all around gun to me.

BTW, if all you're doing is punching paper out to 700yds, .223 would probably be fine as well, not to mention cheaper.

700 yards on a perfect day with no wind, very precise rifle, and an act of jesus/allah/tom cruise. :)

.223 is a very light round. Even if you can go large (90 grain?) on the cartridge, it will still be moved around by the wind with a tendancy to tumble. If you are shooting people, that's a good thing, however making a precise group of shots with such low energy at that distance will be tough.

Go .308, .300WM, or .338 - all have the energy and mass for what you want.

My reason, I really dont have a good specefic reason, I have been shooting since pretty much I could walk, 22 long rifle, shot guns, 22-250, 222, an array of AK and SKS, I got an AR 15, love it, enough shotguns to last me, couple of muzzleloaders, owned a few pistols. Shooting long range was just something I wanted to get into, very interesting to me and just soemthing I am wanting to get into. I shoot sporting clays, skeet, trap, wobble trap, and just looking for something different. I am sure I will use it on groundhogs but that big of a caliber will turn em inside out, cool regardless. I cant give anyone a steadfast reason why, just seems like 1 of those things I could enjoy, plus as long as they are taken care of, guns dont really lose value so if need be I can always change my mind down the road.

oh and the 20 mm = BAD ASS

700 yards on a perfect day with no wind, very precise rifle, and an act of jesus/allah/tom cruise. :)

.223 is a very light round. Even if you can go large (90 grain?) on the cartridge, it will still be moved around by the wind with a tendancy to tumble. If you are shooting people, that's a good thing, however making a precise group of shots with such low energy at that distance will be tough.

Go .308, .300WM, or .338 - all have the energy and mass for what you want.

If it's windy, that just means he'll have to get better at adjusting for it. :D From everything I've read though, the max effective range of .223 is 600-650m (660-710yd.) Hell, adjustable irons are good to like 600yd. :eek:

Again, I'd probably go with .308 as the better choice, but, .223 can do it as well, just with more finesse.

Oh, and .45/70 is only good for like 200yd. Though, on that note, a Marlin 1897XLR is on my list of cool shit to buy.

If it's windy, that just means he'll have to get better at adjusting for it. :D From everything I've read though, the max effective range of .223 is 600-650m (660-710yd.) Hell, adjustable irons are good to like 600yd. :eek:

Again, I'd probably go with .308 as the better choice, but, .223 can do it as well, just with more finesse.

Oh, and .45/70 is only good for like 200yd. Though, on that note, a Marlin 1897XLR is on my list of cool shit to buy.

Max effectives are like peak horsepower :p . I have nothing against .223/5.56 but you won't find many shooters chosing it for shots further then 300m, however the caliber does shine in urban enviroments where over penetration is a concern.

My .223/5.56mm Opinion:

Either way .223 isn't a good hunting round nor a caliber the US Military should ever put into a standard battle rifle. The M4 is great for CQB stuff, and clearing rooms, but has no real punch thanks to it's small size, and lack of kinetic energy. Now for fun target shooting to 300-400 meters it's fine. After that range the .223 drops like a fat girl off a diving board. The wind/gravity play a huge factor in getting a .223/5.56 round past the 400 meter mark. .308/7.62mm however, isn't affected as much. 7.62mm/.308 is good well past 1000 meter mark, and still holds that sledgehammer hit at that range. They don't use M1A/M14's at Camp Perry for nothing :)

- If you want a nice big bore rifle, .338 Lapua works quite nicely. Nate has the specs someplace I bet :)

My reason, I really dont have a good specefic reason, I have been shooting since pretty much I could walk, 22 long rifle, shot guns, 22-250, 222, an array of AK and SKS, I got an AR 15, love it, enough shotguns to last me, couple of muzzleloaders, owned a few pistols. Shooting long range was just something I wanted to get into, very interesting to me and just soemthing I am wanting to get into. I shoot sporting clays, skeet, trap, wobble trap, and just looking for something different. I am sure I will use it on groundhogs but that big of a caliber will turn em inside out, cool regardless. I cant give anyone a steadfast reason why, just seems like 1 of those things I could enjoy, plus as long as they are taken care of, guns dont really lose value so if need be I can always change my mind down the road.

oh and the 20 mm = BAD ASS

I have no doubts in your abilities, but you may want to look at an instructional course or books that detail the many factors that go into long range shots. The Marine Scout/Sniper manual, and U.S. Army's FM-2310 field manual cover a decent amount of said material.

What it comes down to is: How big is/are your target(s)? What does the bullet have to penetrate? How precise do you want do you want your shot groupings to be?

Answer those and you have an idea of caliber, ammo, and optics.

Max effectives are like peak horsepower :p . I have nothing against .223/5.56 but you won't find many shooters chosing it for shots further then 300m, however the caliber does shine in urban enviroments where over penetration is a concern.

:lol: That's probably true.

Interesting clip Scott, they must have had some walls to punch through :)

P.S. Here's abit about .338 for those interested:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1966/tajectoryyt3.gif

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5979/driftxx3.gif

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8430/energyzr4.gif

Cliffs: This caliber/ammunition at 800-850 yards will liiterally hit with 1 ton+ of force - and speed around 1960 ft / sec - 1136 miles/hr, just shy of mach 2.....

Interesting clip Scott, they must have had some walls to punch through :)

P.S. Here's abit about .338 for those interested:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1966/tajectoryyt3.gif

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5979/driftxx3.gif

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8430/energyzr4.gif

Cliffs: This caliber/ammunition at 800-850 yards will liiterally hit with 1 ton+ of force - and speed around 1960 ft / sec - 1136 miles/hr, just shy of mach 2.....

I heart me some .338 Lapua. I shall own one or six some day. :cool:

Dude, just get yourself an M1A. It's effective at longer range than you're likely to be shooting anywhere in Ohio. Is there even a range closer than Camp Perry that has a 700yd lane?

As far as hunting goes, you can't use rifle in Ohio anyway, and if you go to PA, you're never going to need that kind of range, cause you'll be hunting in fields and valleys.

If you want a rifle for serious competition, get it accurized to National Match specs.