Basic cable...

ZYUL8TR

I have Road Runner. Since Time Warner is runnimg the cable signal through the same coax cable, I am picking up about 70 channels of cable for free. Is there a box I can purchase, that will allow me to pick up some of these channels in HD format (without TW knowing- in other words, without subscribing to cable service)?

I have DirecTV currently, and dont want to switch to "payable" cable TV. I am using the cable signal as PIP source.

I had Time Warner installl the incoming Road Runner coax next to the DirecTV input. I installed the internet modem on my home theatre tower. I have the computer tower next to the theatre tower, and use my plasma TV as the computer monitor. I can PIP the DirecTV and my internet surfing. I then installed a wireless router next to the internet modem. I have my laptop and my office desktop setup, wirelessly. It is P-I-M-P!

I don't think any box other than a TW box will work on their network now. When I switched boxes with them I had to call a number to activate it. When they came out to exchange my DVR he used a TREO and activated my box over the air.

I beleive you would have to call and activate the box over the phone. THat's what I did as I installed everything myself. However, many people do not know that in most places you can receive 'over the air' HD local programming using a simple antenna. The difference between normal analog transmissions and HD Digital is that you do not get static, ghosting, etc like you would with analog. HD air signals either come in as good as they would on cable or not at all. So, once you're aimed up, they come in crystal clear. Besides, I feel TW doesn't offer the best selection of HD yet, anyway. They better get the f'n Discovery HD package going. :mad:

I feel TW doesn't offer the best selection of HD yet, anyway.

They don't even support HDMI on the HD box yet. I'm leaving quality on the table. I had a HDMI cable ran thru my walls, but it's just hanging there. Fucking TW...I've had more pixelation and stuttering noises than ever!

However, many people do not know that in most places you can receive 'over the air' HD local programming using a simple antenna.

This is what my old roommate did. Wasn't the best, but HD none-the-less. In fact, I think these were the only channels he got as he did not pay for cable.

just get an over the air antenna for hd. It will give you a couple.

Honestly that is the best advise, I have the HD package and I only have it because WOW will put ESPN2 on it when it is rolled out. I don't watch the other channels that much. I watch ESPN constantly, if I had DirectTV and SpeedHD you would have to pry me off the couch. :)

I have DirecTV, which provides 90 (including locals), or so, channels in HD. I want to be able to PIP ESPNHD and ESPN2HD, for example. I could do this another way by purchasing another HD receiver from DirecTV. But, since I already have the cable signal coming in, I want a box to convert that signal. There has to be a way to do this.

with just my lg lcd tv i was picking up over the air channels and no shit i could sometimes pick up what ever the neighbors were watching with their dvr, it was kinda crazy to be watchin tv then all the sudden it just start rewinding on its own. and there is nothin that tw can do about it. my brother in law is a cable guy and they are supposed to drive around and look for leaks like that. if you are recieving one in that way its not your fault is what i was told.

with just my lg lcd tv i was picking up over the air channels and no shit i could sometimes pick up what ever the neighbors were watching with their dvr, it was kinda crazy to be watchin tv then all the sudden it just start rewinding on its own. and there is nothin that tw can do about it. my brother in law is a cable guy and they are supposed to drive around and look for leaks like that. if you are recieving one in that way its not your fault is what i was told.

:wtf:

They don't even support HDMI on the HD box yet. I'm leaving quality on the table. I had a HDMI cable ran thru my walls, but it's just hanging there. Fucking TW...I've had more pixelation and stuttering noises than ever!

I went and traded in my normal digital cable box and received a brand new, never used hd cable box with a hdmi port. They don't even show these boxes as existing yet on the TW website. You may call and ask them about it. I would.

Also, TW does offer ESPN2HD. I know someone in here said WOW did not or something. They also don't list all the HD channels they actually have on the TW website either though they're still far from offering ALL HD channels. Too much bandwidth.

When are they getting that full packet transfermathingy going at TW, Thorne!