at my wits end now

NTHER91

ive asked who i trust and normally go to but was wondering if anyone has had the smae problems or come across them

86 bronco II 4x4 5 spd 2.9l

will run fine and cool perfect at idle even throw 130+ temp out the vents

as soon as i drive it, it will start getting hot and the heat will go away

let it idle and its perfect itll cool and throw great heat

ive replaced the stat, done a coolant flush and fill itll hold 13 psi and no leaks none in or out of the truck but the RES will eventually fill it self up???

now i know i could replace the water pump and rad. and the heater core and all that but i dont want to just throw parts at it

any ideas would be great

Guest Removed
headgasket leaking putting air in the system.(what makes me think that is the lack of heat after moving )sounds more like a flow problem, either cold spots in the radiator or the impeller for the water pump is rusted off! ill post pics of one in asec to show what i mean!

kinda sounds like a water pump not moving the water. water pump impellers have been known to fall off. you should be able to take the cap off and rev it, the water level should go down then come back up when you let it idle. if it doesn't look like its moving then thats where i would be looking.

headgasket leaking putting air in the system.(what makes me think that is the lack of heat after moving )sounds more like a flow problem, either cold spots in the radiator or the impeller for the water pump is rusted off! ill post pics of one in asec to show what i mean!

talking on the phone and typing owns my reply speeds lol.

the truck did sit for lie 7 yrs also

the prev owner has had the heads done 2 times already so he said

the pump was prolly my next move since its only $22 so we will see

and no compression test done i dont have one

and there the tail pipe isnt spitting out anythign abnormal soo i guess ill throw parts at it

Guest Removed

rusted off impeller blades= no flow

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_1112.jpg

i have also seen them just come loose!

or blockage in the radiator or something like this could do it

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_1114.jpg

Guest Removed
the truck did sit for lie 7 yrs also

the prev owner has had the heads done 2 times already so he said

the pump was prolly my next move since its only $22 so we will see

and no compression test done i dont have one

and there the tail pipe isnt spitting out anythign abnormal soo i guess ill throw parts at it

those are bad about the heads cracking and pushing air into the cooling system . making a air pocket(ie no heat) and causing over heating. if you have a temp gun run it across the radiator looking for cold spots. the fan clutch could be weak not pulling enough air across the radiator at speed to cool it. but i dont think the fan clutch would cause this!

a leak down test would find a leaking head gasket or cracked head. head gasket would have to be very bad for a compression test to pick it up!

I'm thinking water pump is an easy first check... but if it's not the issue I would first make damn sure you have all the air out of the system before you buy any more parts. Do B2's use a closed cooling system or an open? I know closed systems in particular can be tricky to get all the air out of when they have been run out/low and refilled.

I agree that it sounds like an impeller issue. Another way to check the head gasket would be to use a combustion gas detector. I know most home mechanics don't have one but, you might be able to find one to borrow on here. I have one out in Marysville if you are that way. All you do is let it warm up and open the thermostat then use the tester to check for combustion gas in the cooling system. Have you checked the cap? You said the system holds 13 psi but, does the cap. My father's truck keeps burping coolant into the resevoir and eventually emptying itself and it is just the cap. I finally went and bought one so hed quit buying more coolant.

drain the radiator out into a bucket so you can reuse the coolant and shine a light down inside the endtank I just changed a radiator the other day that had a bunch of muck in the bottom of it car would cool fine at idle and overheat like crazy while drving

i did a flush and fill when i got it but you know ho wthose wynn's machines work sooo well

and i did change the cap also actually i stole (switched) one off adams he dosnt know