Eff.....the Veron

ChevyMan1972

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/press.php

Goes into detail about all the testing they have to meet including ALL DOT AND EPA compliance testing. Personally I would like ABS, Traction control, and Stability control but a 60-0 stopping distance of 103ft. is still pretty good.

My Saturn stops in 114 ft from 60mph with much worse tires and more weight. The Hot Rod Solstice stopped from 60 in 98 ft. There are plenty of modified Corvettes stopping in less than 100 ft (better tires, pads, wheels, and braided lines). Honestly, I'm not impressed with 103 ft from a 2800 lb car, with brakes optimized for stopping (no compromises for noise, fade, rotor life, cost, etc), very high end tires, lightweight wheels, and at a cost of half a million.

Again, I'm impressed with the amount of work that went into the design of the body, but the rest of it just seems...incomplete to me.

That's because they said they could not find a closed test facility with a long enough straight to hit thier top speed. Which was kind of surprising to me because they should have been able to go to TRC if they had the cash to rent it.

TRC is on the wrong side of the country (not a problem with enough money) and only one time in the history of TRC have we allowed any type of high speed exhibition. It requires the rental of the entire high speed ring and special safety crews. That would mean being willing to pay more then Honda, the federal government, trucking companies, and anyone else that happens to be using that area COMBINED. Anything over 99mph is strictly prohibited without a full out exclusive purchase.

My Saturn stops in 114 ft from 60mph with much worse tires and more weight. The Hot Rod Solstice stopped from 60 in 98 ft. There are plenty of modified Corvettes stopping in less than 100 ft (better tires, pads, wheels, and braided lines). Honestly, I'm not impressed with 103 ft from a 2800 lb car, with brakes optimized for stopping (no compromises for noise, fade, rotor life, cost, etc), very high end tires, lightweight wheels, and at a cost of half a million.

Again, I'm impressed with the amount of work that went into the design of the body, but the rest of it just seems...incomplete to me.

The Veyron requires 31.4m to stop (103 ft) and that uses a rear wing turned 90 degrees vertical to aid it. I would say the same stopping distance without the wing in a similar car is PRETTY GOOD. I didn't say OH MY GOD IT STOPS IN 103 FEET!!!!!

HOT ROD Solstice Corvette Z06 Carrera GT Enzo Murcielago

Braking, 60-0:

95 110 101 106 110

Price and performance wise it falls right in between the Carrera GT and the Enzo. According to Edmunds a stock Sky takes 134 ft.

TRC is on the wrong side of the country (not a problem with enough money) and only one time in the history of TRC have we allowed any type of high speed exhibition. It requires the rental of the entire high speed ring and special safety crews. That would mean being willing to pay more then Honda, the federal government, trucking companies, and anyone else that happens to be using that area COMBINED. Anything over 99mph is strictly prohibited without a full out exclusive purchase.

How did Motor Trend (or was it Road and Track) do that 24 hour 200 mph test on the Ferrari a few years ago?

TRC is on the wrong side of the country yet they took the car to Dubai?

Also, I guess I was wrong about the Sky stopping distance...it's published as 116 ft from 60 mph. (http://media.gm.com/us/saturn/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_sky/skypresskit/overview.htm)

If you Google "saturn sky stopping distance" you will find quite a few web pages with that number. You'll also find that stopping distance is highly dependant on the surface conditions tested that day, which explains why you see different numbers between different magazine tests. Also, even though the Veyron uses the spoiler under braking it also weighs twice as much as the SSC UA.

They have a dealership in Dubai. It was also there for the Dubai Auto show. Looks like they did the 24 hr 200 mph at the Arizona proving grounds. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0410_exotic_coupe_comparison/field_of_dreams.html

The Aero weighs 2850 or 2/3 of the Veyron 4158. I still think 103 ft. is pretty impressive for no ABS.

The fact that he said they tried various TCS and ABS systems, but 'thought they took away from the driving experience' means that they were trying to make cheap aftermarket stuff work, but had no idea what they were doing. You will stop better with a properly tuned ABS system, it will be more stable, and all your customers will be able to execute the same performance..

I think the professionalism of the company was displayed when they showed a clip from their top speed run and the driver looked to be wearing a T-shirt and no helmet.

The Veyron has gone through 1000x more testing, simulation, engineering, and certification than this thing has, and it shows.

And-thats exactally what sets them apart.

I'd like to see either on 480 or 270 so I can show them what a 4k tin can can do. ;)

They have a dealership in Dubai. It was also there for the Dubai Auto show. Looks like they did the 24 hr 200 mph at the Arizona proving grounds. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0410_exotic_coupe_comparison/field_of_dreams.html

The Aero weighs 2850 or 2/3 of the Veyron 4158. I still think 103 ft. is pretty impressive for no ABS.

Yeah, I was going by what he said when he talked about taking the guy racing it on the freeway vs. his Veyron.

The link you posted is not the test I'm thinking about. It was in the 90's and they ran a Ferrari 550 at top speed for 24 hours around the track at TRC, IIRC. Doesn't matter. Maybe policies changed, but you would probably know the current policy better than I do :p It's crazy for me to imagine going through that much just to do over 99 mph, considering I've gone 155 mph at Chrysler with no paperwork, but I understand the need for it.

On the weight, again I was just going off of what the guy said in the video. Still, stopping a 2800 lb car vs. a 4100 lb car is quite different. It is impressive that the Veyron does it in 103 ft, and it's also impressive that the SSC UA can do the same with no ABS, but I wonder how repeatable that number is. With ABS you just mash the pedal. Also, the stability of the vehilce under braking would be interesting to see, especially from a high speed.

Their web site claims that they have to pass emissions and be DOT legal, but DOT legal only means that they have all the proper lights, wipers, seat belts, etc. It says nothing of the safety of the vehicle. If you're familiar with OEM development you know that it's not as easy as bolting some belts in a car and calling it safe. There are constant, small revisions to make a car perform well in a crash, and no two are alike.

Again, I can respect the car's exterior design, and what they have done with off the shelf components. But it's no where near the Veyron when you get down to the details that an OEM goes through during vehicle development.