Should I cut my can?

schmuckingham

I picked up a used Akra Evo system from 1000rr.net and its on its way to my home this week. I understand cutting the can changes the sound but the Akra is one of the quieter systems for the 1k's and all other that cut theirs say it sounds a lot better and the tailight hasnt yellowed or gotten stained from the exhaust. This is the actual system on the race bike ( different colors because its two different season):

1000rr-EDR-1.jpg

ThunderHill20067.jpg

ThunderHill20245.jpg

After surfing 1kRR.net I came across a thread about people shortening their Akra systems. The first one listed is cut 3in:

Before

100_9123.jpg

AFTER

100_9145.jpg

This system is cut 2.25in ( didnt post a before shot)

KIF_0274.jpg

KIF_0275.jpg

KIF_0277.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Factory heat sheild and heat tape :)

Isn't your taillight in the undertail?? No heat shield there, and some of the undertail is exposed. Heat tape won't do you much good for this. Heat tape is made to wrap around metal to keep the heat from escaping, not to be wrapped around plastic to protect it from warping/melting. Just my two cents though.

I think the end result would not look as good if you were to cut the can. On a side note about the heat tape, when we helped install the hotbodies undertail/pipe on cattmouch's ZX6, the new plastic undertail in the kit came with the heat tape already installed to help keep the undertail from melting. He also put extra heat tape in the tail section to keep that from getting hot ans warping the tail. It all works and keeps his plastic cooler than it it were not protected.

Heat isnt my main concer because most of the heat will be dispersed through the titanium the kit is made out of.

The originator of the thread on 1kRR has run it for some time now including tracks days with no problem of melting of even yellowing

Heat tape:

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=30

Heat isnt my main concer because most of the heat will be dispersed through the titanium the kit is made out of.

The originator of the thread on 1kRR has run it for some time now including tracks days with no problem of melting of even yellowing

Heat tape:

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=30

Ah, I was thinking more like header wrap or starter wrap. My bad.

My AR> your AR

Keep dreaming!

Anyway, now you've seen my funny. Akra pipes are really quiet. My 10r I wish was louder. I guess it depends on why you want it cut. I think that single cannon coming from under the CBRs tail looks sweet. If it's too short you'll see all that empty space up in there and not look as good. Also, your tail will always be black nasty from the exhaust.

No shoes on!

SSPX00181.jpg

Edited by Putty

Keep dreaming!

Anyway, now you've seen my funny. Akra pipes are really quiet. My 10r I wish was louder. I guess it depends on why you want it cut. I think that single cannon coming from under the CBRs tail looks sweet. If it's too short you'll see all that empty space up in there and not look as good. Also, your tail will always be black nasty from the exhaust.

No shoes on!

SSPX00181.jpg

I knew the Akra systems were a quieter setup thats why i looked for one, thanks for the re-assurance

Actually the no shoe thing doesnt bother me anymore, I wont be living in that pig pen in a few weeks :)

def cut the can. i like the look of undertail exhaust, but it looks funny when it sticks out 1 foot past the light.

+1 to that.

i think the second pic looks the best. the 2.25 inch cut...

i think it just needs to point up a little more, and it would be perfect.