Should I cut my can?

schmuckingham

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the can is carbon, be careful cutting it. the dust is not something you want to breathe in. bad mojo for sure. its worse than asbestos or a coal mine... or an asbestos coated coal mine...

cut it as wet as you can... and ideally you would want a respirator...

but then again, you are only doing it once, its not like you're cutting cf every day... but still, the dust is not good for you. also, you dont want to get it on your skin either as it can cause irritation.

D&D isn't an exhaust system...

Cutting the Akra 3" looks sweet. Of course, I'm with Flounder and the gang and think cutting the whole bike in half would look better...

Please tell me you didn't get the "Carbon Fiber 'Hey look! I'm a total squid!!' frame cover" for your 1000 like the guy had that you got the pipe from....

I never called it an "exhaust system" , lol I was uneducated and broke. It was something I could afford at the time. It was definitely LOUD.

Carry on with the:supergay:ness.

Mike, I could be out in left field, but I read somewhere (on a forum) that heat-wrapping titanium wasn't a good idea. I'd check into that prior to executing.

This is correct from what I have heard, as well. Ti cooling quickly is a bad thing. But, on the flip side, I have a buddy (Reuben, actually) that wraps all his pipes as of late and it hasn't effected them... Not sure on the facts with this idea... Maybe Rub can chime in.

This is correct from what I have heard, as well. Ti cooling quickly is a bad thing. But, on the flip side, I have a buddy (Reuben, actually) that wraps all his pipes as of late and it hasn't effected them... Not sure on the facts with this idea... Maybe Rub can chime in.

Ive heard the same about wrapping TI cans. Something about it causing them to become brittle over time. I dunno, I got nothing..

ok, i'm not a chemical engineer, but my brother is, and we were talking about this, and i'm a bit confused as to how heat wrap could hurt pipes....

first of all, heat wrap is an insulator. That being the case, the pipe itself loses some of it's ability to dissipate heat through radiant heat transfer to atmosphere. Therefore, when the hot gas travels through the pipe, it retains more of its own heat because the thermal resistance has increased in the pipe as a whole model. This makes the inside of the pipe hotter and the exiting gas hotter, but not the air surrounding the pipe (since it's rate of heat transfer has been reduced).

Now, that being said....the only thing we couldn't figure out was how this would interact with the material properties of Ti. We both thought Ti was made specifically for high temps, but we are not materials engineers, so unless there's something we don't know about commercial Ti alloys, I can't see how heat wrap would mess up Ti pipes. I think we all know about heating and cooling cycles making metals brittle, but I thought that was all rapid cooling. It will certainly make them hotter, and maybe the 'blueing' will be worse, but that's all under the wrap anyway, but other than aesthetics, I cannot see a problem.

Does any of that follow?