HD-DVD Pricing DEALS!

JaSSon

Sam's club has a (hitachi i think?) HD-DVD player for an amazing price of $70. Yes I know it's offically dead tech, BUT it will upconvert regular DVDs to 720p/1080i. It also included The Bourne Ultimatum and 300 on HD-DVD AND an HDMI cable. When you figure a standard upconverting player will run you $50-100 and NOT include a cable or free movies, this is a fantastic buy.

Oh, I also saw a Toshiba for $100 at Bustbuy. Not sure if it included HDMI or movies tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Xbox 360 add-on HD-DVD drive for $50 at bestbuy. Bestbuy also has ALL HD-DVD software for 30% off. Newegg also has the 360 drive for $50.

Oh, and if you have the proper dvd-player software the 360 drive can be connected to a computer's USB port. ;)

I wouldn't even waste your time buying that toshiba, even though it says 1080i upconverting. if you want a great upconverter.. 1080p

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html

check this one out. we sell these all the time at the store.

You're talking $229 vs $70. My initial point was value. While i'm sure that Oppo is a wonderful unit it's also several times the cost.

Just like buying quality car parts. You get what you pay for. I had my terms wrong. An upconverter just basically pass's on a signal. You actually want an up-scaler which will make the signal look better. So buying an upconverting dvd player is just a waste of money.

The way I look at it, if you have a dvd player right now. then you are wasting $70. Hd-dvd will be extinct soon and it isn't going to to make your dvd's look any better.

I mean do you buy your performance car parts at Autozone too?

I know for a fact that the $50 HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 makes regular DVDs look waaaaaaaay better. I have one, and I have a standard dvd player as a different source in the same tv. Back to back comparisons aren't even close. It's worth the $50 for that at least, and as was said, you can plug it into your comp. to use any software you might have.