Wearing a helmet while driving?

thorne

I know it sounds stupid but my wife and I were talking about my roll cage I'm doing late this year. I was trying to figure out if I can wear a helment to drive it legally. Say I wanted to drive it to the track. WRECK + CAGE = BAD without a helment. What do you guys do that have cages.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, it's easy to make your daily commute with a helmet on. Really helps with peripheral vision !

Umm have yo ever actually worn a race helmet? Your periferal vision is totally unaltered, the visors are designed to give you visibility. If you've got a helmet that obstructs your vision, get rid of it.

Knowing Ohio, it probably is illegal, but I've done it. I think it's absolutely rediculous that Ohio would require one group of motorists to wear helmets on the road, yet declare them unsafe for another group that are on the same roads.

Another option would be to pad the cage around your head.

+1

Unless your running sub 10 second passes or honestly considering getting into rally racing whats the point?

Safety and rigidity. You don't need to trap 140mph to die in a wreck, and cages help the car handle.

My car traps 87mph but it has a cage, cages aren't just for drag cars.

Thorne, I wouldn't do it unless you plan on making it a really serious race car. Are you planning on a full cage?? or just a 4 point? With the 4 it's all behind you anyway but still illegal to have on the road I've read and wearing a helmet will only draw more attention.

My car traps 87mph but it has a cage, cages aren't just for drag cars.

Thorne, I wouldn't do it unless you plan on making it a really serious race car. Are you planning on a full cage?? or just a 4 point? With the 4 it's all behind you anyway but still illegal to have on the road I've read and wearing a helmet will only draw more attention.

It's up in the air right now. I'm not concerned about 1/4 miles. I'm concerned with Rolling my car over a hill. This car will not be a daily driven car sometime next year. Maybe this year If I sell my bike. I've already got its next turbo and working on how IPS is going to build the motor. The plan right now is 8000 RPM motor + GT14 OR ej207, Not sure ATM.

I really want to take this car on the track next year, I've just found that going in curves is 10x more fun then going straight for 10 seconds. I will still drag it but it's goal is Rally/Road.

Roll bar padding, it'll cushion the blow a little.

I was goign to say the same but there's no way a inch of padding will protect you if you hit your head in an accident on that thing. The Helmet will do more to redistribute the force from the point of impact around the rest of the helmet.

I really want to take this car on the track next year, I've just found that going in curves is 10x more fun then going straight for 10 seconds. I will still drag it but it's goal is Rally/Road.

WHOOOOA! Dude, do it this year. Seriously, start with your car as it is, take it out and do some lapping days with an instructor. You don't want to do all that work and then jump out on the track with gods feet if you're not used to walking yet.

roll bar padding is a joke, you'll still pass enough g-forces onto your brain to cause SERIOUS injury in the event your head hit it during a crash.

I think that while your concern and want for a cage is warranted, you may be jumping the gun. Do a couple driver's events first and see what you think. I'm not experienced in the local rally world, but I would also tend to think that a cage would put you into a class you wouldn't want to be in.

I'm under the impression that there is no limit on safety....so, considering how modified his car already is, the car shouldn't change classes based on a cage unless the car was stock. Or if he wants to run pro rally events aka non rallyx events i believe a cage is required, just like real SCCA road racing (not track days).

roll bar padding is a joke, you'll still pass enough g-forces onto your brain to cause SERIOUS injury in the event your head hit it during a crash.

I think that while your concern and want for a cage is warranted, you may be jumping the gun. Do a couple driver's events first and see what you think. I'm not experienced in the local rally world, but I would also tend to think that a cage would put you into a class you wouldn't want to be in.

Safety equipment shouldn't bump you up a class. But building an 8000 rpm motor with a different turbo will. I agree with the rest. Start off slow, keep your car stock. If you're concerned about safety I would start with a 4-point cage since they're cheap.

Even WRC or Rally America cars don't turn 8000 rpm's (due to the restrictor size). And if you're planning on running rally (like Rally America), they don't let people start out in AWD turbo cars. It's VERY hard to get a waiver to move up a class when you're just starting out.