98 Bravada gas guage problems.

Reed44

I bought my girlfriend a nice 98 bravada with 97k miles for 3k. If you fill up the gas tank the gauge reads normal untill 1/2 tank. Then it starts going E-F rapidly and gets worse the more you drive. Then stops when you fill it up. Then just today the heat was going in and out. It also smells like coolant. I put it in the garage and reved it up a few times to wish-fully clean it out. It started smoking under the hood and the smell of coolant was evident. Didint get a close look at it because it was dark.

I have no clue whats going on with the gas guage. Blazers, jimmys, and bravadas have vacum line problems. Could the heat be part of that? It stills has dex-col in it so I believe the intake gasket is done for. Could that be the coolant smell?

Please provide info on whats going on, thanks.

my olds would get to a qtr tank and shut off when you would go stop at a red light ut would start right back up until the next red light or gas station,any ways i replaced the the pump and have not had a problem since.As far as your coolant smell dont know what to say about that one...Hope this helps ya out .Oh and by the way ,them fuel pump assemblies cost a shit load so if you know someone that has a commercial account somewhere i would give them i call and see if they can help you out

Sounds like Fuel Pump / Sender assembly for the gauge problem ( pm me if you need prices ) , and if the coolant smell is outside check for leaks ( most likely the water pump though ) .

AJ beat me to it :)

Those GM SUV's are very common for bad fuel sending units. I've put a couple of them in before.

If the heat was going in and out you probably have a waterpump going out, but they are also pretty common for bad heater cores as well. And intake gaskets. The cars are kinda junk.

You can smell the coolant inside the car but the floor isnt wet. It comes through the vents. Sound like intake gasket? Would a bad water pump cause the heat to go out? It looked like the coolant was coming from the intake sensor. The waterpump is nearby though. I didnt get a good look. Do you have to drop the tank for the fuel sending unit?

I just had to limp it home off the freeway. Its eating coolant and I just noticed while filling it back up to make it to work tomorrow that it is leaking fast somewhere underneath towards the back of the motor. Not sure what is back there to cause it? The heat will work when you put colant in it.

Wow. That sucks. Thanks for the info. You have been helpful. I would do all this but dont have time to do it going to school full time and working full time here in cleveland. I also dont have my tools or a garage. I work at NTB so hopefully a large discount will take place.