To First time Home owner's: A question...

iwishiwascool

As some of you know, Im doing a full rehab of a bank owned property in Westerville. I'm marketing the house to a 25-35 y/o first time homeowner who would love to live in a 300k downtown loft but could never afford it. The home is a (now) very open floor plan with contemporary finishes and furnishings: Granite, porcelain tile, wood floors on the main living areas... The house will sell for 170k (max) when listed.

The question:

As a first time home owner, would you want carpet in, at least, one living area... or would you be impressed with hardwoods throughout?

[i'm debating whether to put a hand-scraped hardwood in the lower living/family room. It would cost you suckers $8 s/f retail so even at cost it would be more expensive than a good carpet.]

Cliffs: do you like carpet in your first house?

My wife and I just bought our first house last year... one of the major reasons we bought it was because of the hardwood floors throughout the house. However, our house was built in 1929 so there is hardwood everywhere anyway.

It also depends on whats underneath (to me). If there is a basement then hardwood is just fine but if its on a slab that floor will be crazy cold in the winter unless there is some sort of insulation under the floor.

If I where in your shoes I would put the hardwood in and put a really nice area rug in the living areas.

Cliffs: I like hardwood floors.

If I where in your shoes I would put the hardwood in and put a really nice area rug in the living areas.

Cliffs: I like hardwood floors.

I have good rugs through-out. I had an interior designer pick out the furnishings, colors, etc, to make it feel warm despite the contemporary nature.

+1 for the awesome floor...

PS: This is about what it will look like if I go the hardwood route:

http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2007/11/05/hdivd-1106-after-lounge_w609.jpg

I'd say it depends on the person. Some like the look and feel of hardwood; others couldn't give a shit less. Me? I prefer carpet for the warmth and comfort, but, I do on occaision like/love the look of hardwood.

My parents, when building their latest house, pondered the same question. Carpet or hardwood in the living area? Per my brilliant idea, they did both. Be creative:

http://i32.tinypic.com/9scozr.jpg

go hardwood.

i understand exactly where your coming from. and as i remodel my home i have my taste as well as a future buyer in mind.

people want that luxury appeal at little cost. and if you can make someone feel as if they are in a 300k home but can purchase it for 170k thats perfect.

i think your in the right direction with the open floor plan and choice of materials.

and rugs add a ton of warmth to a room.

so throw some nice rugs down on the new hardwood and call it a day.

keep up the good work.. get some pictures up

I'm ripping all the carpet and tile out of my house this summer. Hard wood all over.....Like a ski lodge....he he!

http://i32.tinypic.com/9scozr.jpg

What the hell? Is this just in the middle of the floor? Who room image please.

Here's the more important question: What's the garage like? :D

Personally, I like carpet in my home. But I'm not real picky. If a place has a roof that doesn't leak, everything works, and there's no insects or mold, I'm pretty happy.

Ill have pictures up when it is done.

The garage will actually get a little attention, it is already drywalled and insulated so a sealer and a coat of paint with some cabinetry that Ill build (not included in the house sale) should make it pop.

Does this place have a attached garage? Whats the address? I might me interested. I just put a deposit down on a condo that is quite a bit more and I may be interested especially if I can get more for my money compared to the condo.

The house was originally slated to be sold in the spring. With the market the way it is and my timeline in shambles, I'll probably hold on to it for another year and just avoid capital gains all together.

2 Car attached garage, the house is off Westerville Road.

What the hell? Is this just in the middle of the floor? Who room image please.

Don't mind the doggahs:

http://i32.tinypic.com/9gwtxf.jpg

One on every landing in the stairwell:

http://i29.tinypic.com/21a9yjo.jpg

Wanted a design for the marble, but the other design was way too complicated to work with:

http://i31.tinypic.com/v70k.jpg

The house was originally slated to be sold in the spring. With the market the way it is and my timeline in shambles, I'll probably hold on to it for another year and just avoid capital gains all together.

2 Car attached garage, the house is off Westerville Road.

ahh cool good luck with it, i was looking to move out in 6-8 months.

I'm pulling up the carpet in my dining room because my kids like to spill things. Definitely go wood...

Or do like me and get the vinyl planks that look just like wood. They are a little pricey but can handle the wear and tear a kid will put on it without scratching (imagine a kid running across a wood floor with a rock stuck in the bottom of their shoe :eek: ).