93 DSM not running right

JaSSon

My Eclipse currently doesn't want to start. It cranks just fine, and it will stumble every now and then but it doesn't seriously try to start. Last time I drove it (wednesday) it started just fine but it didn't like cruising on the freeway. It did alright under heavy throttle, but it wouldn't drive at 70mph. It also wants to stall instead of idling

It's throwing the following codes:

13: Intake air temp sensor

14:Throttle position sensor

21:Engine coolant temp sensor

25: Barometric pressure sensor

I JUST recently removed the GM MAF and MAF-translator 2 and installed a stock (hacked) maf. It was throwing the same codes before I removed the aftermarket parts.

I'm betting the not-starting can be blamed on the Throttle position sensor. I've ohmed the TPS out and it seems alright according to vfaq.com's specs.

That's an aweful lot of error codes tho. Ecu crapping out?

my dad's laser wouldn't start when the coolent sensor went out.

Crank it over a little and pull the plugs and see if they are flooding out, or seem dry.

I haven't tried that yet. I don't think it's flooding tho. I can't smell any gas while it's cranking over. I kind of thought it was doing the opposite.

Should it start with the coolant temp sensor unplugged?

It was exactly the same with the same symptoms and the same error codes with the maft installed. I was hoping the (untuned) maft was the problem.

check the wiring to the coolant temp sensor. it gets old, brittle, and breaks. if its the coolant temp sensor youll have to crank it about 35 times to get it started and at that its hard to keep alive. the car doesnt like to idle cold, but when the engine warms up it drives and idles ok

I haven't tried that yet. I don't think it's flooding tho. I can't smell any gas while it's cranking over. I kind of thought it was doing the opposite.

Should it start with the coolant temp sensor unplugged?

It was exactly the same with the same symptoms and the same error codes with the maft installed. I was hoping the (untuned) maft was the problem.

I don't remember if that made a diffrence... I would suggest taking a resistance reading, and try some ether to get it running and warm then try taking another reading to see if it is working. I don't think the service manual has any values for it.

Your best bet is find a buddy with a car that is running, and switch out a few sensor's. I would volunteer mine, but i am atleast an hour away.

EDIT: or just go to autozone, buy this, and see if it starts, if not return it

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP224827/vehicleId,1607701/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,1731/partType,00113/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

I'm going to search in the service manual for a test

Ok, put the sensor in some water, connect to omm meter...

Standard value:

At 20°C (68°F) 2.45 +/- 0.24 kOMS

Temperature “C (“F) Resi’stance kQ

0 (32) 5.9

20(68) 2.5

40 (104) 2.7

80(176) 0.3

To check your TPS

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tps.htm

I can also send you the page on how to check your air intake, but I bet if you check those and fix them if faulty, the car will start.

And one last note, I have replaced caps on a ECU before and was successful, I would be willing to try it on your's, but be fully ready to throw the ECU out if I fuck it up lol...

as in, i have done it once, it went good, willing to do it for you, but if i fuck it up, or it dosen't work i don't want to have to buy you a new ECU lol

The coolant temp sensor plug was just nasty. I douched it out with some alcohol. I took it for a test drive and it didnt stall. Backfired at WOT tho. I'll do a boost leak test later. It's currently running condition could be because of the warm weather tho. We'll find out for sure if it gets cold!

If that doesnt work I have an ecu to install.

The car died again when it got cold yesterday. I replaced the ECU with one I got from TurboTalon on here. Car runs great! All the little hiccups it was having are GONE.

i suspect the crap I douched from the water temp sensor was just 15 years of crud/oil leaks. :D