GM Safety Recall: 1997-2003 Buick Regal GS/Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

MrMeanGreen

GM Safety Recall

GM is going to announce a safety recall for 1997 - 2003 Buick Regal GS and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP equipped with the supercharged 3.8L engine (VIN code "1" / RPO code L67).

Customer advisory letters are being mailed out on 3/13/08 to owners on record with GM.

A portion of the upcoming customer notice is below:

We believe that the fires may be caused by drops of engine oil being deposited on the

exhaust manifold through hard braking. If the manifold is hot enough and the oil runs

below the heat shield, it may ignite into a small flame and in some instances the fire

may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel. This may have occurred in about

one in one thousand vehicles.

We are currently working with our suppliers to obtain sufficient parts so we can launch a

full recall to address this situation.

Please know that we understand the concern this may cause and the need to correct it

as quickly as we can. Until we are able to do so, there are three very important

precautions you should take:

• We strongly recommend you not park your vehicle in a garage, car port, or other

structure.

• If you notice a burning odor, you should have your local dealer

inspect your vehicle. The dealer will inspect your vehicle without charge.

• Use premium fuel (91 octane or higher) in your vehicle, as recommended in your

vehicle’s owner manual.

The GM Technical Service Bulletin for this condition is 08-06-04-019.

Warning, your car may catch fire, in the meanwhile,

We strongly recommend you not park your vehicle in a garage, car port, or other

structure.

• If you notice a burning odor, you should have your local dealer

inspect your vehicle. The dealer will inspect your vehicle without charge.

• Use premium fuel (91 octane or higher) in your vehicle, as recommended in your

vehicle’s owner manual.

Thanks, GM

#08-06-04-019: L67 Engine Oil Smell or Odor, Leak at Left or Front Valve Cover (Replace Valve Cover Gasket, Grommets and Spark Plug Wire Retainers for Cylinders 1-3-5) - (Mar 11, 2008)

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/999/999/999999995.gif

Subject:L67 Engine Oil Smell or Odor, Leak at Left or Front Valve Cover (Replace Valve Cover Gasket, Grommets and Spark Plug Wire Retainers for Cylinders 1-3-5)

Models:1997-2003 Buick Regal

1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

with 3.8L V6 Supercharged Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO L67)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle has an engine oil smell or odor. Upon investigation, the technician may find that an oil leak is coming from the left or front valve cover.

Cause

This condition may be caused by drops of engine oil being deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking.

Correction

The following service procedure will aid technicians in the removal and installation of the left or front valve cover gasket, grommets and the removal of existing left or front spark plug wire retainer and the installation of a new spark plug wire retainers for cylinders 1-3-5.

I'm curious to see if I'll get anything in the mail. If I don't, I'm assuming I'll just have to call a Pontiac dealer?

I don't think I'll be getting a letter since I bought the car used from Jim Keim Ford.

Nice, thats where I got mine too