2003 MPV V6 Help PLease

TTQ B4U

In laws are having problems with their 2003 Mazda MPV. I believe it use the 200hp Ford Motor.

Sputters when going up a slight incline as if it's not getting gas. It will stop sputtering if you give it more gas, but I haven't driven it and can't tell if it just stops and isn't gaining much power or anything. Just going my in laws who barely drive the speed limit.

Car has been in service for 5yrs and has just under 60,000 miles on it.

My gut says:

1. Fuel filter(s) ? Can you tell me where they are on this car? More than one?

2. Fuel pump going out? Your thoughts?

3. Timing issue? Would we see that under other circumstances though?

4. Spark plug wire? Here too I would think I'd see it under other circumstances though.

Insight appreciated as they live in Caldwell and are going to be bringing it to someone for service and would like a bit of a heads up on what it is.

On the Ford Duratec, the fuel pump will make the car spit and buck really bad coming out of a corner - especially if below half a tank.

The Duratec is also REALLY picky about spark plug wires, and will start trowing misfires like crazy at the drop of a hat. It happens under load - like you mentioned, going up a hill, and more if you step on the gas a little more.

I would strongly suspect spark plugs AND wires are the problem. Replace them all at once - bad plugs will cook a new set of wires, and bad wires will cook a new set of plugs. If you install them all at once, it should be good to go.

I would strongly suspect spark plugs AND wires are the problem. Replace them all at once - bad plugs will cook a new set of wires, and bad wires will cook a new set of plugs. If you install them all at once, it should be good to go.

nope

the mpv that year is a 3.0 dohc that is coil on plug. Is there a check engine light, and if so have the codes been pulled? The individual coils are known for going bad in these ford motors, we've put 2 in the mountaineer in 60k miles, however it was an all the time miss accompanied with a check engine light on. They claim these are 100k maintenance motors but they aren't plugs should be changed at about 50-60k on them for best performance. Internal fuel filter so I wouldnt suspect that, and definately no timing issues. I'm gonna say fouled plug/bad coil if lights on. could have a bad 02/vacuum leak/m.a.f/t.p.s causing it to go dumb also

nope

the mpv that year is a 3.0 dohc that is coil on plug.

Gotcha. I didn't think they went to COP in the MPV. I knew the Mazda6 was COP, but the Duratec in much of the rest of the Ford lineup is the ordinary coil pack affair.

Good lookin out.