how i almost died.

e-flores

ok so this was discussed in another thread and it was to long and random to post in a single thread and i didnt want to thread jack myself so here it is.

ok so here goes... a good friend of mine and i go hunting. we both find our tree stands and its all going good, until brewer( the good friend of mine) decides he wants to climb the home made "tree stand" which consist of a 10' old school 1970's t.v. antenna with a homemade wooden box on top of it. my guess is that the wooden box was supposed to be meant for some kind of seat:dunno:and for further reference he chose this "tree stand" over the tree stand with an overhang padded seat and a ladder that is fully capable of supporting his 230# mass. so brewer gets to the top rung of he antenna and the strap that is supporting the top end snaps! he is wiggling around trying to grab onto something before he falls uncontrolably 10" to the ground. he decides that the only way he is going to walk away from the situation is if he drops the gun and gives the tree a good ole' classic bear hug and then proceed to shimmy his way down the tree. which works out really good for him but not so much for the gun... it ends up barrel down about 6 inches in the snow soaked ground. after all this goes down he decides that it would be best for him to revert to the original plan and use the more suitable tree stand less than 20 yards away..... the day goes on it gets dark we meet up on the trail and start our walk out of the woods. brewer explains everything that had happened and i laugh and explain to him that it would probably be best for him to go home and clean out everything before he actually uses the gun again. he agrees and informed me that he took the barrel off while in the tree stand and rammed a stick through it in an attempt to clean out everything and the only way he was planning on shooting anything is if he had spotted a deer. but as we are walking out of the woods i decide it would be down right funny to take a shot right behind him in an attempt to make him crap himself, but what ended up happening was totally not to plan. brewer gets pissed and takes a random shot at the hill next to us that i had taken a shot at, but the mud that he had supposedly clean out of the barrel prior to taking the shot hinders the lead slug from exiting the barrel properly. the built up pressure created a hole in the side of the barrel shooting lead shrapnel to the left and out of the end of the barrel itself. (see diagram)

explination.jpg

so moral of the story never plan on scaring the crap out of someone unless you are prepared to crap yourself as well.

oh and pics of the barrel.

oh and pics of the barrel.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Edited by e-flores

How much mud was in the barrel? I'm hoping there was so much that you couldnt see thru it. Otherwise, i'm now scared to shoot a gun with the smallest amount of debris in the barrel.

I won't shoot a gun that has the smallest amount of dirt/debris in the barrel.

You both are lucky you still have faces. And the moral of the story is don't discharge a dirty firearm no matter how many sticks you clean it out with. :mad:

Yeah I expected flaming from this thread eventually and but I do agree, hince the name of the thread. It was a stupid move on both our parts for sure. And I do realize how lucky I am.

So my question is this.. Why is he dumping slugs down a barrel that does not look like a slug barrel. That looks like the standard shot barrel with a choke tube in the end.!!!! If that is the case then that is part of your problem. besides your friend being an idot