Can't decide :\

thorne

Ok, So I'm stuck right now inbetwen big mod changes. The end of this year early next year the WRX's motor will be getting sleaved and built up to rev to 8K maybe more we've not finished the plans for it.

Before then I've currently got a VF39 turbo its fairly small but gets the job done, I've got the turbo for the new motor it is GT14. That is a much larger turbo. Good for over 400whp on a sti.

Should I stick with the vf39 this summer have fun and wait till I get the motor built or buy a upgraded turbo like a td05 18g or 20g? Just as a toy for the summer and sell it next year?

Put the big turbo on this motor and keep the boost down. Air is air it is not going to blow up from a big turbo just from abuse.

+1 Go for the big turbo this summer. Unless you think your motor won't spool it at all. then go for the 18g for the summer and just have fun driving it.

I'm worried that it wont spool till 5500 or more. I can't find info about people running this turbon the 2.0.

If it is that big, then i would wait and do all your motor mods at once.

What kind of suspension setup are you going for? Drag? off road? auto x?

I'd say hold off on getting a 20g as it does have a real large lag on spool according to a decent number of people I've known who've put it on their WRX. It's actually common thought that the 20g mates better with the STi engine and the 18g mates better with the 18g.

I'd also say hold off until you do the improvement just because for all you know when you come to upgrading the engine a new shinier turbo will be out and you'll be regretting purchasing the turbo now.

Suspension wise I don't know. I enjoy Rallyx but I also like drag/road/autocross. Its a bitch to decide. Adjustables cost tomuch .

adjustables do cost a bit, but they are so nice to have and worth it imop.

BTW did you ever get your night train?

WhiteLine adj. 24mm rear sway

WhiteLine adj. 24mm front sway (If you get an ALK, you might go 27mm, you can wait to see how they work out on Grip)

TiC coilovers

RCE Camber Plates

Run 24mmF/26mmR on the road with the TiC COs on a firmer setting. Then soften the COs and bump the rear down to 22mm and finally, disconnect the front sway for RallyX.

You can also continue with your bushing regimen, and an ALK might be a very good idea if you don't plan to be in a competitive class in AutoX.

Summer tires are going on the STI this week, so I'll be doing my suspension mods soon. You're welcome to come see the results. I plan to do the mods in stages so I can feel what each one does.

WhiteLine adj. 24mm rear sway

WhiteLine adj. 24mm front sway (If you get an ALK, you might go 27mm, you can wait to see how they work out on Grip)

TiC coilovers

RCE Camber Plates

Run 24mmF/26mmR on the road with the TiC COs on a firmer setting. Then soften the COs and bump the rear down to 22mm and finally, disconnect the front sway for RallyX.

You can also continue with your bushing regimen, and an ALK might be a very good idea if you don't plan to be in a competitive class in AutoX.

Summer tires are going on the STI this week, so I'll be doing my suspension mods soon. You're welcome to come see the results. I plan to do the mods in stages so I can feel what each one does.

Yes, make him take a test ride with you. I've tried preaching to him about waiting on the suspension, spending the money to do it right, and not regretting it later. :D IMO, some good adjustable coilovers >>>>> a shock/spring treatment. Feeling the difference in a MKIII supra with stock, one with spring/shock and one with coilovers was night, day, and a whole 'nother week. The coilovers handled better than the spring/shock and rode nicer than stock plus they were adjustable. Far worth it in the longrun and you can always have them rebuilt down the road when it's time. Also, the coilovers are more matched than a many spring/shock combos. Also, keep in mind, just because your car is low and stiff doesn't mean it handles any better.

Shit, forgot to mention the sways. IDK if they make as big of diff on WRX's as they do on my car, but they are HUGE improvements for the money. Again, I dunno how much some good ones are for the WRX, but ours are pretty cheap. Best bang for the buck on upgrading the handling in our cars.

IMO, some good adjustable coilovers >>>>> a shock/spring treatment.

I disagree here. For street use, a good strut/spring combo is going to be better than 99% of the coilovers out there. Most coilovers are overdamped. Granted, most like that because it gives a nice firm ride. But it's not always the best choice. However, there's a footnote here and an exception. The big issue with subies is that, though they have HUGE mod options, good upgraded struts are few and far between. Not to mention pricey. The exception to the above about coilovers are the new TiC COs I mentioned. They have proven to be excellent on the street while also being very capable on the track with predictable and repeatable damping.

I'm starting with Ohins FP struts and RCE Black springs. This combination has recieved RAVE reviews and some have even dared to compare the ride to a BMW. I have great expectations for these.

Also, keep in mind, just because your car is low and stiff doesn't mean it handles any better.

Precisely

Shit, forgot to mention the sways. IDK if they make as big of diff on WRX's as they do on my car, but they are HUGE improvements for the money.

Sways are the biggest bang for the buck on the Impreza platform. Just a rear sway will greatly improve the car's rotation and cornering. Thorne has already gone for a ride in my STI with just a rear sway and was as surprised as I was when I punched it in a turn and the car ROTATED rather than pushed. :D

There are many sway manufacturers for the Impreza, but Whiteline is the most popular and definately the most reliable. Their adjustable sways are definately the way to go. The important thing is to upgrade the endlinks. The rears not as much, but the stock WRX fronts can break when used with a big bar.

Sway bar next. My issue is really I have a bent strut but don't have allot of money to drop into a full setup right now. In a few months i will thought. I might just tough it out.

My summer tires/wheels are going on soon.

18inch's of sexy

Sway bar next. My issue is really I have a bent strut but don't have allot of money to drop into a full setup right now. In a few months i will thought. I might just tough it out.

My summer tires/wheels are going on soon.

18inch's of sexy

I'm on summers now. So the suspension modding will begin SOON! Again, you're welcome to come along for before/after rides.

I dunno. I've been in too many cars with spring/shock combos not properly paired or made for what they want. But I guess I'm being unfair, that's not the parts problems, but the owner not doing their research first or doing one and not the other.