NA, Turbo, Supercharger

99FLHRCI

I did my taxes last night and found out I will be getting about $5K back. My goal is to have a daily driver with 20+ mpg and 12.99 or quicker. The car weighs 2639 as it sits. I am putting out 175hp/124tq. From all of the calculators I can find I need to be somewhere in the 300 hp range. I have been strongly looking at a Vortech or ATI Procharger supercharger system. I really like the Vortech because it uses a liquid to air intercooler that is under the hood. I like not having anything "showing" on the outside. The Procharger would have a visible intercooler (maybe paint it black to hide it a little) but, it is a contained system (no line to the oil pan). I am kind of turned off by turbo because every Honda/Acura that wants to go fast immidiatly goes to a turbo setup. Granted it is a tried and true but, I like to have something different. I also have looked into a NA setup but, I do not know how feasible it is. Any input would be great.

You have a B18C5 right? That isn't the best motor to turbo cause the vtec motors are fairly high compression. You can still do it, but you just can't run crazy amounts of boost with it.

I would have to say though, to reach your goal, the turbo kit would be the way to go.

Turbo is probably going to be the most efficient. I don't see you pushing 300hp with a charger. Or just spray the bitch. :cool:

The Procharger claims 70-75% with their HO kit and nothing else (no stand alone engine management, exhaust, cams etc.) That would put me at about 297hp. The Vortech claims they dynoed a stock Type R with their HO kit at 298hp/175tq. The main difference between the kits being the style of intercooler and not having to run oil lines with the Procharger. I can get the Procharger for $4100 but that leaves the visible intercooler. I don't know that hiding the intercooler is worth the $700 more that the Vortech would cost. Niether of those systems REQUIRE Hondata although it would be best. Hondata is gonna cost me another $1000. (ECU, chiping, S300, Tune) I have no clue what/where to look at to compare turbo kits. I would assume that with $1000 in cams, $1000 in exhaust, $1000 in intake, and $1000 in Hondata I might make close to 250-275 if I went NA which leaves me short of my goal.

I know places like Slow Motion can set me up with a turbo setup but, I would like to know where I can research complete kits, the power they provide and their cost. The biggest downside I see to a supercharger is going through first to get up to the powerband. I have read lots of complaints about Vortech's lack of low end power. I cannot find any reviews on the Procharger. Jackson Racing is out of the question ( I do not like anything about them from lack of power to the lack of further intake modifications to go further some day). If anyone is a big Honda nut I would love to sit down and talk sometime. I have tried registering for OhioHondas but haven't recieved anything back allowing me to join.

The Procharger claims 70-75% with their HO kit and nothing else (no stand alone engine management, exhaust, cams etc.) That would put me at about 297hp. The Vortech claims they dynoed a stock Type R with their HO kit at 298hp/175tq. The main difference between the kits being the style of intercooler and not having to run oil lines with the Procharger. I can get the Procharger for $4100 but that leaves the visible intercooler. I don't know that hiding the intercooler is worth the $700 more that the Vortech would cost. Niether of those systems REQUIRE Hondata although it would be best. Hondata is gonna cost me another $1000. (ECU, chiping, S300, Tune) I have no clue what/where to look at to compare turbo kits. I would assume that with $1000 in cams, $1000 in exhaust, $1000 in intake, and $1000 in Hondata I might make close to 250-275 if I went NA which leaves me short of my goal.

I know places like Slow Motion can set me up with a turbo setup but, I would like to know where I can research complete kits, the power they provide and their cost. The biggest downside I see to a supercharger is going through first to get up to the powerband. I have read lots of complaints about Vortech's lack of low end power. I cannot find any reviews on the Procharger. Jackson Racing is out of the question ( I do not like anything about them from lack of power to the lack of further intake modifications to go further some day). If anyone is a big Honda nut I would love to sit down and talk sometime. I have tried registering for OhioHondas but haven't recieved anything back allowing me to join.

You should definitely call SloMotion. They will answer all your questions, I know they have built at least a few VERY fast integras

Guest GMoney

With a 4 banger deff go turbo, super chargers use 25% of the gained HP to make the extra power and that is why the tq is so low on them. On a turbo kit you are gonna see your 300hp and roughly 300tq, where on the SC your gonna have to run more boost to get to the same 300hp and your only gonna have 200tq.

Torque makes the car more fun to drive on a daily basis.

Any good sites/brands that sell kits where I can do some more research on them? I plan on talking the IPS and SloMo but, I would like to do some of my own research. I do not know that I am ready to piece something together. It would be nice to kind something to the supercharger kits where it is all inclusive (maybe minus the engine management). I also saw a post on here awhile back about variable vane turbos. Is that anywhere in the $5k for the whole setup price range? Is it worth the price difference? Who sells them?

Any good sites/brands that sell kits where I can do some more research on them? I plan on talking the IPS and SloMo but, I would like to do some of my own research. I do not know that I am ready to piece something together. It would be nice to kind something to the supercharger kits where it is all inclusive (maybe minus the engine management). I also saw a post on here awhile back about variable vane turbos. Is that anywhere in the $5k for the whole setup price range? Is it worth the price difference? Who sells them?

Peak boost / Full race / Greddy / Turbonetics / check those companies out to start

Step 1: Sell car

Step 2: Buy 6-speed LS1 F-body

Step 3: Do some simple bolt-on's

Step 4: Get well over 20MPG and well into the 12's.

Or spend more money, and replace F-body w/ LS1 Vette.

!thread.

This is the right track, but I would keep the Integra (unmodified) as a daily. personally, I wouldn't buy an F-body either. The moral of the story is, mod something else.

Step 1: Sell car

Step 2: Buy 6-speed LS1 F-body

Step 3: Do some simple bolt-on's

Step 4: Get well over 20MPG and well into the 12's.

Or spend more money, and replace F-body w/ LS1 Vette.

!thread.

You forgot two steps:

Step 5: Download and burn Golden Earing's, "radar love" onto CD, place in CD player and put on repeat

Step 6: Grow Mullet

:p

Triple Post so I may as well make it worth while....

Cetrifugal superchargers provide a very linear power, great for road racing since you will have no transitions to deal with sending you into a tire wall, and you'll have the RPMs up keeping you in near full power output. May not be the best choice for daily driving unless you are constantly winding out the motor.

You may want to look into a Twinscrew design or...I can't believe I'm going to say this, but late generation roots (Eaton) setup. They will be an absolute blast to daily drive. You could impress friends by pulling tree stumps from their yard, tow their mobile homes away, etc. They may not give you the peak HP you desire, but they provide linear power from about 2,500rpm +. I would suggest getting an intercooled design if going roots. Also, roots/TS may give best efficiency off boost/light load -- their internal bypasses' are much larger comparitively to volute's of the turbo/centri compressors, giving the engine less of a hassle to eat air to overcome road load (all of the frictions). These chargers do take HP to drive as mentioned, but under load. Roots/TS bypass allows them to somewhat free-wheel, drawing a very small amount of crank hp.

A well sized turbocharger falls between the two. Good throttle response, and most likely similar if not better total power over centri/roots. However, twinscrew still may provide the best torque output over the powerband.

The Procharger claims 70-75% with their HO kit and nothing else (no stand alone engine management, exhaust, cams etc.) That would put me at about 297hp. The Vortech claims they dynoed a stock Type R with their HO kit at 298hp/175tq. The main difference between the kits being the style of intercooler and not having to run oil lines with the Procharger. I can get the Procharger for $4100 but that leaves the visible intercooler. I don't know that hiding the intercooler is worth the $700 more that the Vortech would cost. Niether of those systems REQUIRE Hondata although it would be best. Hondata is gonna cost me another $1000. (ECU, chiping, S300, Tune) I have no clue what/where to look at to compare turbo kits. I would assume that with $1000 in cams, $1000 in exhaust, $1000 in intake, and $1000 in Hondata I might make close to 250-275 if I went NA which leaves me short of my goal..

With that high compression and a blower that creates a ton of heat....running that thing with no good engine management (Hondata, AEM, Motec, etc.) is just asking for problems. I would turbo the car for sure. Best turbo kit out there...http://www.full-race.com ., Go to http://www.Honda-tech.com for a good resource site. Just read and read more before you ask questions.

Triple Post so I may as well make it worth while....

Cetrifugal superchargers provide a very linear power, great for road racing since you will have no transitions to deal with sending you into a tire wall, and you'll have the RPMs up keeping you in near full power output. May not be the best choice for daily driving unless you are constantly winding out the motor.

You may want to look into a Twinscrew design or...I can't believe I'm going to say this, but late generation roots (Eaton) setup. They will be an absolute blast to daily drive. You could impress friends by pulling tree stumps from their yard, tow their mobile homes away, etc. They may not give you the peak HP you desire, but they provide linear power from about 2,500rpm +. I would suggest getting an intercooled design if going roots. Also, roots/TS may give best efficiency off boost/light load -- their internal bypasses' are much larger comparitively to volute's of the turbo/centri compressors, giving the engine less of a hassle to eat air to overcome road load (all of the frictions). These chargers do take HP to drive as mentioned, but under load. Roots/TS bypass allows them to somewhat free-wheel, drawing a very small amount of crank hp.

A well sized turbocharger falls between the two. Good throttle response, and most likely similar if not better total power over centri/roots. However, twinscrew still may provide the best torque output over the powerband.

What about a Rotrex blower?