Alternator?

blue98ls1

I have been having a "Slow starting" issue with my car. It cranks normally, but takes a lot longer to start than it should. A shop that I had my oil changed at checked the Alternator and it showed it wasn't putting out anything. Then I took the car this morning to an Advance auto parts and had them check the battery/alternator and everything tested fine. :confused:

Last night I was out driving around and after one of the slow starting episodes, the lights where dim and the clock wasn't illuminating until I got on the highway. Then everything was fine.

Today the clock kept getting dim/bright while I was driving. I am not getting any check engine lights, battery lights or anything like that.

I had the starter and fuel pump replaced aprx 2 months ago. The engine replaced/rebuilt about 9 months ago.

Another note: sometimes when it is having the "slow start" issue, if I give it some gas, it seems to start better.

Does it sound like the Alternator is going out? :confused:

Or does it sound more like a fuel related/sensor related issue?

Sounds like alternator trouble to me. I'd check your power with a volt meter while the electrical system is under load, but from the "dim lights" and other things its very likely the alternator so just replace it or at least open it and replace the brushes:-) Maybe clean a few things while your in there if you don't want to buy the thing.

Evan

I went to the Advance on W. Broad St.

I had a friend test the Alternator again today, and he said it was fine.

I'll clean the connections and see if that does anything.

I'm guessing if it is "bad" it is working intermittently or something. :confused:

Thanks guys for the suggestions!