How and where to host a website?

RedRocket1647545505

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Godaddy can do all of that for you. Log into your domain control panel, choose the domain name, and there will be an option on the details page for hosting. When you check out through hosting, there will be options for their site builder.

Godaddy can do all of that for you. Log into your domain control panel, choose the domain name, and there will be an option on the details page for hosting. When you check out through hosting, there will be options for their site builder.

Are GoDaddy's prices about what I'd expect to pay for hosting any other place?

i have godaddy for my sites and have found that they lack in some areas like blogging hosting and a few other areas but overall i like using them but as far as building a site look for some templates and such depending on your level of knowledge...

as far as pricing they have some of the cheapest i have found

i have godaddy for my sites and have found that they lack in some areas like blogging hosting and a few other areas but overall i like using them but as far as building a site look for some templates and such depending on your level of knowledge...

as far as pricing they have some of the cheapest i have found

Link to sites made with GoDaddy?

I would offer you space if you bought the domain at 1and1, I am hosting a site from Godaddy for a friend and if you host the domain on a server other than godaddys server it seems like godaddy likes to change their dns settings on it too much. When that happens I have to update it manually. Its lame. Pending on how much traffic you get Ill make host it if you put my googles ad somewhere on the site.

I would offer you space if you bought the domain at 1and1, I am hosting a site from Godaddy for a friend and if you host the domain on a server other than godaddys server it seems like godaddy likes to change their dns settings on it too much. When that happens I have to update it manually. Its lame. Pending on how much traffic you get Ill make host it if you put my googles ad somewhere on the site.

Well, I bought my domains, bought a month of hosting (through GoDaddy, just to try it out) and just did the host setup thing. Got a notice that it'd take about 24hours to activate, and then I could start building.

I decided not to go the Site Builder route that they offer. So, we'll see how that goes.

Here's the details of the hosting plan I went with. Website probably won't be huge, but I wasn't sure how much space and bandwidth to get, so I picked the middle package:

Plan Features

• 100 GB NOW 150 GB Space

• 1,000 GB NOW 1,500 GB Transfer

• 500 Email Accounts

Unlimited Web sites

FREE! Software

• 25 MySQL Databases

• Unlimited Email Forwards

• Forums, Blogging, Photo Galleries

Go Daddy Hosting Connection

$25 Google® AdWords® Credit1

$50 Microsoft® adCenter Credit†

FREE! Google Webmaster Tools

BTW, what are MySQL Databases?

Also, once the site is up and running, does it automatically show up on Google and such?

MySQL is a Microsoft db application where you can store data and call data quickly. You probably wont use it unless you are setting up a forum or any site storing data.

No, you have to have a google account and submit it to the google spider.

MySQL is a Microsoft db application where you can store data and call data quickly. You probably wont use it unless you are setting up a forum or any site storing data.

That's always a possibility. :cool:

I am hosting a site from Godaddy for a friend and if you host the domain on a server other than godaddys server it seems like godaddy likes to change their dns settings on it too much. When that happens I have to update it manually. Its lame.

For what it's worth, I have many clients that host with me and use Godaddy's DNS and this has never happened in three years.

MySQL is a OPEN SOURCE db application where you can store data and call data quickly. You probably wont use it unless you are setting up a forum or any site storing data.

FIXED

I use Dreamhost. There's a way to do referrals and I can discount it down to almost nothing for your first year, if you are interested. I'm extremely happy with it. I use it for email and picture hosting. It's also pretty nice as a way to back up any critical data you can't afford to lose, as they (and any other reputable webhost) keeps everything backed up very well.

I use Dreamhost. There's a way to do referrals and I can discount it down to almost nothing for your first year, if you are interested. I'm extremely happy with it. I use it for email and picture hosting. It's also pretty nice as a way to back up any critical data you can't afford to lose, as they (and any other reputable webhost) keeps everything backed up very well.

Dreamhost, lol. I am surprised they still have customers left after all the screw-ups they've made.

I host with godaddy, it's cheap and you get a ton of space and bandwidth. If you know how to use an FTP client and have some patience to work through the database settings (it's all explained on their site), you can upload any sort of prefab web page kit you want (blog, CMS, photo gallery, etc.) The only drawback is that they don't dedicate a lot of CPU time to you, so if your web site uses a lot of server side scripting it can be slow at times.

Guest mrhobbz

^ Don't listen to him, he apparently knows nothing about what he is talking about. Next Apache will be a Microsoft product too.

Wow, thank you for informing us all you're a complete fucking idiot and know absolutely nothing.

A) MySQL is an opensource product recently purchased by Sun Microsystems. Its still opensource though. It never had anything to do with Microsoft.

B) Databases are used in any dynamic content website such as: forums, blogs, podcasts, etc.

C) Your mom must have dropped you.

D) Google bots automatically crawl all websites.

E) Submitting your site to Google will make it appear quicker.

F) Submitting a sitemap might help your site appear higher on the search results.

G) Google has a lot of cool webmaster tools: http://www.google.com/webmasters/

PS: I PMed you Austin.