How and where to host a website?

RedRocket1647545505

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thank you for informing us all you're a complete fucking idiot and know absolutely nothing.

A) MySQL is an opensource product recently purchased by Sun Microsystems. Its still opensource though. It never had anything to do with Microsoft.

B) Databases are used in any dynamic content website such as: forums, blogs, podcasts, etc.

C) Your mom must have dropped you.

D) Google bots automatically crawl all websites.

E) Submitting your site to Google will make it appear quicker.

F) Submitting a sitemap might help your site appear higher on the search results.

G) Google has a lot of cool webmaster tools: http://www.google.com/webmasters/

PS: I PMed you Austin.

rofl, E,F,G you need a google account, mine as well sign up to get it kickin sooner than later. I just got MySQL (open source) and SQL05 mixed up relax. I switch before Linux and Windows hosting so much I mixed up the too.

Guest mrhobbz
rofl, E,F,G you need a google account, mine as well sign up to get it kickin sooner than later. I just got MySQL (open source) and SQL05 mixed up relax. I switch before Linux and Windows hosting so much I mixed up the too.

Shut up noob. Next PHP will be Java, and C# will be visual basic and you will still be a noob.

Do you known HTML? Can you write a page without any help? If so buy a cheap computer and either install windows (NOT) or unix (YES) on it. Put the webpage up on that and only have that box running the webpage. Go through any company for DNS name resolution. Some companies this is free. Then you have a working webpage if your internet connection is working.

I would only recommend doing this if it is not going to be a big and/or high traffic webpage. Otherwise there are many servers that you can buy "processes" on to run a website or whatever. They will handle the internet bandwidth for you. I have a few companies that I could recommend if you want to go this route. I have been with 1 company for over 3 years and they rarely go down.

Guest mrhobbz
Do you known HTML? Can you write a page without any help? If so buy a cheap computer and either install windows (NOT) or unix (YES) on it. Put the webpage up on that and only have that box running the webpage. Go through any company for DNS name resolution. Some companies this is free. Then you have a working webpage if your internet connection is working.

I would only recommend doing this if it is not going to be a big and/or high traffic webpage. Otherwise there are many servers that you can buy "processes" on to run a website or whatever. They will handle the internet bandwidth for you. I have a few companies that I could recommend if you want to go this route. I have been with 1 company for over 3 years and they rarely go down.

If you're ISP doesn't shut it off... Most residential ISP's do not like anyone running services from their pipe.

Unless you have a business account doing this is a violation of terms of service and if you have to ask this question you should be using a hosting company. Most likely if you attempt to do as Trowa suggests you will get hacked.

There are lots of hosting places for ~ 5$ a month and they do a great job.

Trowa ways around that such as running a on a diffrent port don't work to well for a corp site. The other thing to keep in mind people do report people for it. Also in the case of hosting a website from a home account if its not a buisness I know RR will leave you alone BUT if its a business acount on the other hand they will shut you down.

I mean honestly eric why would you even suggest doing this to someone who had to ask this question in the first place.

I mean honestly eric why would you even suggest doing this to someone who had to ask this question in the first place.

If it is a small site with barely any traffic or "i am setting up my first test webpage" then I see nothing wrong with it. If you are setting up a message board then this is a big No No.

I think Austin has common sense to figure this out.

If you box is not secured then yes it will get hacked. If you setup everything the right way before it is on the internet you should be ok. Just keep up on the security patches.

OR

Just pay another company to host it for you. That way is more expensive though.

Guest mrhobbz
If you box is not secured then yes it will get hacked. If you setup everything the right way before it is on the internet you should be ok. Just keep up on the security patches.

OR

Just pay another company to host it for you. That way is more expensive though.

Sorry "security patches" are not what determines if a box is secure or not. Second of all, if the site is going to be that small... RR offers hosting.

Sorry "security patches" are not what determines if a box is secure or not. .

You are not understanding what I said.

It is not the only thing but it is one of the things a smart admin would keep up on. Sure you can setup a box to be secure by writing a firewall (hardware) by hand, putting it behind a great router etc etc. It will be safe for a wile but eventually someone will find an exploit to get around this. This is why God invented security patches. They fix exploits. If you are on the ball you will install them as they come out.

Keeping a box secure is a daily activity.

Guest mrhobbz
You are not understanding what I said.

It is not the only thing but it is one of the things a smart admin would keep up on. Sure you can setup a box to be secure by writing a firewall (hardware) by hand, putting it behind a great router etc etc. It will be safe for a wile but eventually someone will find an exploit to get around this. This is why God invented security patches. They fix exploits. If you are on the ball you will install them as they come out.

Keeping a box secure is a daily activity.

A hardware firewall = netgear,etc,etc basically anything on an eprom... You mean a software firewall? Thats fine and dandy, but if you're trying to secure something "patches" especially in windows typically in windows open new ones while closing others...

Disable all services that you do not need, disable root logins and be done with it.

A hardware firewall = netgear,etc,etc basically anything on an eprom... You mean a software firewall? Thats fine and dandy, but if you're trying to secure something "patches" especially in windows typically in windows open new ones while closing others...

Disable all services that you do not need, disable root logins and be done with it.

I mean Hardware as in a Cisco Pix firewall. This is not software on a machine.

Guest mrhobbz
Patches are mostly used for an operating system. Comeon don't be dumb.

Sigh...... I never said anything about a hardware firewall did I? BTW: Iptables = just as efficient/secure.

Sigh...... I never said anything about a hardware firewall did I? BTW: Iptables = just as efficient/secure.

I interrupted your previous post as you felt when I said, "hardware firewall" that I meant software firewall. This is incorrect. That is the point I was trying to get across to you.

Guest mrhobbz
I interrupted your previous post as you felt when I said, "hardware firewall" that I meant software firewall. This is incorrect. That is the point I was trying to get across to you.

Lets make babies.

Most people run unix on slower machines. What happens if someone is able to DoS your unix box with an exploit? Or even just send it data all day at 100MB/s until it crashes ?

I am not saying a unix box as a firewall is not secure. I feel it is better to setup a hardware firewall instead.

Guest mrhobbz
Most people run unix on slower machines. What happens if someone is able to DoS your unix box with an exploit? Or even just send it data all day at 100MB/s until it crashes ?

I am not saying a unix box as a firewall is not secure. I feel it is better to setup a hardware firewall instead.

If there is someone that has enough bandwidth to successfully DoS one of your boxes you probably have bigger problems to worry about...