Shooting the family dog

Guest 614Streets

Guest 614Streets

Well I was over at my mothers today putting up a gutter. Mid afternoon my mothers dog had a seizure and fell down the stairs. 15 yrs old sheep dog water spaniel mix. Awesome dog. Was actually "my dog from my younger years 30 now got her at 15. Anyways , after a second seizure the dog was pretty much gone. It kept wanting to get up but couldnt so I helped it up and outside. It wandered around , at this point dog had obvious brain damage , did't know really who was who etc. Well I had explained to my mom when she got back from being out at a meeting and while the dog was out back , briefly let off the chain we had it on , getting ready to take her down to have her put down by a vet, the dog saw deer in the woods outback and chased after. Our neighbor has dobermans that will attack any dog that crosses onto their property. Well my dog never chases deer but "it" decided to , I say it because after the seizures the dog was uncharecteristic.

I knew when I saw what was happening and heard my neighbors dogs were loose that this was the finale of it all. The neighbors dogs attacked her. I walked back to pick up my dog which was alive but barely. Walked about a 1/4 mile back to my mother property then got my 9mm and finished her off.

Can't say Im totally shook up , but not fun........

thats horrible, for future knowledge please do some reading on seizures. Its sad but my husky-yel lab mix has them 3-5 times a year. only 1% of seizures are fatal in dogs, it sometimes takes hime 30-45 mins to get back in it but then he's fine for months.. sorry again about your dog.

Guest 614Streets
thats horrible, for future knowledge please do some reading on seizures. Its sad but my husky-yel lab mix has them 3-5 times a year. only 1% of seizures are fatal in dogs, it sometimes takes hime 30-45 mins to get back in it but then he's fine for months.. sorry again about your dog.

Yeah we were going to have the Vet handle it all until she chased the deer while I was waiting for my mom to get dressed , it all happened very fast. The neighbors dog torn her to pieces but I did have to finish her off she was one tough ass dog.

She had survived being attacked by the neighbors dog about 5 years ago and was nearly killed, was never the same after that but...

I don't honestly think I could bring myself to shoot one of my dogs. I could probably go kick the neighbors ass for not having a fence, or for allowing vicious dogs to be free on his property.

That sucks man, sorry to hear.

I don't honestly think I could bring myself to shoot one of my dogs. I could probably go kick the neighbors ass for not having a fence, or for allowing vicious dogs to be free on his property.

+1

I've lost a few animals over the years. They're not pets to me, they're family members.

And as far as the neighbors and their dogs go, it's not the Doberman's fault. You could blame the owners, but then you've shown you have no aptitude for reading comprehension as he said his dog went on THE NEIGHBORS property. It fuckin sucks his dog was attacked on top of everything else, but like the man said, it all happened so fast. :(

Yes, this is true. The dog will seem "uncharacteristic" for a time but after a nap and 30-60 min the animal will have returned to normal. It is the starvation of oxygen to the brain during seizures that causes temp mem loss.

Guest 614Streets

Thanks for the kind words bro's , I stayed over at my mothers last night, its really rough for her since after my dad passed she relies on her dogs for company and she had to witness everything last night. I didnt get the best sleep last night , obviously.

As far as the neighbors dogs go , not sure how agressive they are against people except my mother cannot walk her dogs that direction anymore as in the past the aggresive neighbors dog has run out to the street and attacked her dogs on leashes.They have crossed onto my mothers property and attacked all three of her dogs nearly killing all three of them and each time my mother has had to pay big vet bills to keep them alive.

The neighbor does not care , he has ordered them to attack.

During a previous attack a sherriff did stop by and did mention to kill the neighbors dog if it attacks her dogs on her property. The problem is I don't live with my mother , I live downtown and every summer I worry about what is going to happen next with this situation.

damn sorry to hear that, I had a close cat that I grew up go almost through the same thing a few years ago, was hard seeing someone you grew up with go through somthing like this even if it is just an animal, they all grow apart of our lives, sorry to hear what happen, and hopfully your mom can move on and maybe get another new puppy some day.

Guest mrhobbz
Thanks for the kind words bro's , I stayed over at my mothers last night, its really rough for her since after my dad passed she relies on her dogs for company and she had to witness everything last night. I didnt get the best sleep last night , obviously.

As far as the neighbors dogs go , not sure how agressive they are against people except my mother cannot walk her dogs that direction anymore as in the past the aggresive neighbors dog has run out to the street and attacked her dogs on leashes.They have crossed onto my mothers property and attacked all three of her dogs nearly killing all three of them and each time my mother has had to pay big vet bills to keep them alive.

The neighbor does not care , he has ordered them to attack.

During a previous attack a sherriff did stop by and did mention to kill the neighbors dog if it attacks her dogs on her property. The problem is I don't live with my mother , I live downtown and every summer I worry about what is going to happen next with this situation.

big heapin' bowl o' anti-freeze?