US truck market....

Science Abuse

Diesel wise, look at the prices, they don't depriciate by a lot.

That's only b/c Toyota doesn't have a diesel truck.

Their gasoline trucks have a huge resale value compared to US gasoline trucks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Japanese cars but nothing on the truck market compares to US trucks. I drive a 4dr 2500 sierra longbed diesel daily and for the construction industry it does everything I need it to do, nothing imported can even compare. People who actually use trucks only by US trucks...

Let me finish your sentence correctly: ...is going to buy a full size truck.

Also, India's backroads make most of ours look like highways. Don't call it a POS until you beat the hell out if. ;)

Then let me correct your OP:

US mini-truck market.....

prepare to be owned

Then let me correct your OP:
You corrected incorrectly:

Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. will shake up the U.S. truck market next year when it introduces a new midsize pickup called the Appalachian

Also, we have numbers, since the Appalachian is based ont he Scorpio.

Front Track:

"Mini-truck" Mahindra: 57"

Ranger: 58"

S10 (I'm not calling it a Colorado): 59"

So, its realy not much smaller than the US trucks. Park them side by side, and you'd never see a difference. It's smaller, but not mini.

American or nothing.

http://www.pickupspluscars.com/images/PPC%20Gallery/Customers/Phil%20Hawk/cust08_06.jpg

Tundra what?

http://botzo.com/wp-content/uploads/Lifted%202007%20Tundra.jpg

American what?

Looking at GMC Ford and Dodge sites, it looks like the Canyon/Colorado wimps out at 1535lbs payload, and Ford and Dodge don't even have that information available on their sites, but from reviews Dodge is slightly higher, Ford slightly lower, and those are for the heaviest suspension available on the trucks...

Drive train warranties

Chevy/GMC=5yr/100kmiles

Ford=5yr/60k

Dodge=lifetime, but with a ton of escape clauses. Effective end of warranty=5years.

So, the warranties are comparable, the payload is higher than the best that the American trucks can muster, and the motor is a torque monster, even if the hp numbers are low...as a work truck, this thing is better set-up than any of the American or Japanese offerings, and it's made by a company that has a history of building extremely good products. Their tractors easily compete with JD, Case, CAT, and Husqvarna.

I don't see it taking off, but it could do pretty well if the company markets it right. I could also see the female market stepping up to buy one of these. It is kinda cute...

like i said lets see when its out... its out to us. so ratings don't me jack till its here. we all know that manufactures will claim number hp, tq, mpg, etc etc but if the vehicle really delivers is not known till its out there.

about diesel... honestly with diesel prices being higher then gasoline. i don't see much of the people buying diesel. even if in the long run its cheaper. you have to continue to get that mpg. like i said above, manufacture ratings are all well and good. real life is often different. also once again i got to say it... that thing is just plain ugly. my nieces could prolly design a better looking truck.

like i said lets see when its out... its out to us. so ratings don't me jack till its here. we all know that manufactures will claim number hp, tq, mpg, etc etc but if the vehicle really delivers is not known till its out there.

about diesel... honestly with diesel prices being higher then gasoline. i don't see much of the people buying diesel. even if in the long run its cheaper. you have to continue to get that mpg. like i said above, manufacture ratings are all well and good. real life is often different. also once again i got to say it... that thing is just plain ugly. my nieces could prolly design a better looking truck.

Manufactures have nothing to do withthe ratings thats done by the EPA and as of 08 they were updated to reflect modern day driving.

Manufactures have nothing to do withthe ratings thats done by the EPA and as of 08 they were updated to reflect modern day driving.

mpg yea... and i know about the update... still doesn't mean the vehicles out there are getting what is advertised.

I never said the thing was cool looking, but then again, the Ranger is a butt-ugly 15-year old body, the Colorado bugs me with the headlights below the turn signals, and the Dakota...let's just say I'm not fond of the new one...

The Mahindra is definitely on the ugly side, but if it can live up to it's ratings, I might buy one myself.

-not new

-didn't get 30mpg (maybe half)

-DOESN'T HAVE 350LB FT, you need to check your sources, thats an SLT and dodge didn't offer anything that made more than 310. On top of that, you don't know if that has the magnum or the cheaper/weaker 4.7. Event he RT only made 250hp and 345lb ft (15hwy mpg, btw).

2008 Dakota: 302 bhp 329 ft- lb torque. MPG isnt up to 30 more around 20 but its a hell of a lot more truck! (also its a flex fuel engine)

I'm not saying the ap is a bad truck but... like I did say lets see how it performs once its here. Also good competition will be a good thing for us truck manu's

oh yea in 2010 ford is bringing out their new 4.4 diesel...

"Designed to offer comparable acceleration to the current 5.4-liter gasoline Triton, the new engine should be rated at about 330 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Fuel economy is expected to be around 20% better than the gas-fed Triton."