Investing stocks...

ChevyMan1972

Well,

I have never thought about doing this, but I had a little 401K that had $750.00 dollars in and I wanted to do something with it, from a prevous employer I was working for, so I looked into investing in a company that buy's castings from us because their sales are through the roof and want more castings from us, so I looked into there stocks and decided to put all my egg's in one basket...well as it turns out their stock is now at a all-time high and boy did I wish I had 4000-5000 shares at the time it was $42.00 when I purchased it :( Now look at where it's at and I have a feeling it's about to split...:( :( :(

http://moneycentral.msn.com/msn/stock_quote?Symbol=bucy

Thanks,

Dan

been there done that myself. I'm still looking for a crystal ball. I worked with a 26yr old guy back in the dot-com days that's now a millionaire sever times over. he invested in a once small time company called Yahoo when they were early in the days of growing. he put all his eggs there and what do you know.....I saw him a few weeks back and he's not worked since and never plans to.

another buddy did similar in the IT space and while he's still working, he's 100x better off than anyone I know. he still drives the same Acura he bought with one of the initial wins he had 10yrs ago. to him, it's a way of reliving the memory.

Well,

I have never thought about doing this, but I had a little 401K that had $750.00 dollars in and I wanted to do something with it, from a prevous employer I was working for, so I looked into investing in a company that buy's castings from us because their sales are through the roof and want more castings from us, so I looked into there stocks and decided to put all my egg's in one basket...well as it turns out their stock is now at a all-time high and boy did I wish I had 4000-5000 shares at the time it was $42.00 when I purchased it :( Now look at where it's at and I have a feeling it's about to split...:( :( :(

http://moneycentral.msn.com/msn/stock_quote?Symbol=bucy

Thanks,

Dan

While putting all your eggs in one basket can be exciting, and there's a slim chance it can be very rewarding, it's not the smartest thing to do with your money. There is a great potential you will lose everything.

I know a guy that turned $10,000 into $1.2 million in 6 months during the dot-com bubble. Then he lost it all. He made extremely risky trades and it eventually came back to bite him. You're better off diversifying, especially if you're trading stocks with your 401k money.

When I was 16 I turned a 1k investment (most of what I had) in to 26k with the help of a venture capitalist family friend.

None of my investments since then have ever come close to that kind of return.

Now that I'm old, my emphasis is on diversity and long term return. I get excited about 15% a year.

My opinion? Don't "invest" in the stock market. Bad idea. The chances that you can turn that small investment into big money is very small. Probably less than 1%. You put your money into mutual funds and watch them grow. Anything over 8% a year is a bonus... :nod:

My opinion? Don't "invest" in the stock market. Bad idea. The chances that you can turn that small investment into big money is very small. Probably less than 1%. You put your money into mutual funds and watch them grow. Anything over 8% a year is a bonus... :nod:

Sigh...

ETF's are where it's at

Also, not trying to brag or anything... just giving you an example... but I have 1 stock that I am up over $1300 today alone. You CAN make TONS of money on the stock market

Sigh...

ETF's are where it's at

Also, not trying to brag or anything... just giving you an example... but I have 1 stock that I am up over $1300 today alone. You CAN make TONS of money on the stock market

Quoting how much money you are up in one day is worthless. You should only talk in percentage. Not to mention that looking at a one day return is pretty much worthless too. I would get excited over the day-to-day movement, but only care about my year-over-year increase.

Quoting how much money you are up in one day is worthless. You should only talk in percentage. Not to mention that looking at a one day return is pretty much worthless too. I would get excited over the day-to-day movement, but only care about my year-over-year increase.

I day trade

I day trade

So you don't track year-to-year? Or even what your % is intraday?

I move in and out of positions frequently (not by the minute or hour like a day trader) but I still track the yearly growth of my portfolio.

So you don't track year-to-year? Or even what your % is intraday?

I move in and out of positions frequently (not by the minute or hour like a day trader) but I still track the yearly growth of my portfolio.

Last quarter I was up 64%.... but I pay myself monthly, so I track more in a monthly take and then pay quarterly taxes.

I also have a 73% accuracy rate

Last quarter I was up 64%.... but I pay myself monthly, so I track more in a monthly take and then pay quarterly taxes.

I also have a 73% accuracy rate

Nice job, that's a very good return.

Just be careful. I have a few friends that were in the same position at 23 y/o. It can come down just as quickly. We're all doing it as a hobby now, not for our main source of income, just so it's not as big of a stress day-to-day. My one friend was trading on margin a lot, then the dot-com bubble burst. :(

Sigh...

ETF's are where it's at

LOL, I know a guy who was doing those. He lost his ass and now has nothing. This is a guy in his 40's with kids and a mortgage. No retirement, no nothing. I'll take the slow and steady, guaranteed method, thanks... :marc:

First rule in investing "never swing for the fences." Now if you got play money thats different, but this rule applies when your just moving stuff around making small gains and trying to grow your capital and/or retirement stuff.

Might be a good time to buy mutual funds (ETF's) at the moment, but remember people who bought them 8 months ago are probably at like -20 40%. It just wasn't the time unless it was a special fund tracking something other than the major markets. As I said if anyone has extra money now "should" be a good time to look into a fund. You can sell it after 180 days without taking any penalties and you'll just pay taxes, but a fund is good to keep until you see the markets up a lot, Then get the hell out.

Evan

First rule in investing "never swing for the fences." Now if you got play money thats different, but this rule applies when your just moving stuff around making small gains and trying to grow your capital and/or retirement stuff.

Might be a good time to buy mutual funds (ETF's) at the moment, but remember people who bought them 8 months ago are probably at like -20 40%. It just wasn't the time unless it was a special fund tracking something other than the major markets. As I said if anyone has extra money now "should" be a good time to look into a fund. You can sell it after 180 days without taking any penalties and you'll just pay taxes, but a fund is good to keep until you see the markets up a lot, Then get the hell out.

Evan

The market is "up"

• 1 month later...

***UPDATE***

Everyone,

Well today my stock split's BUCY and I now own 35 shares at $68.00 and it is currently up 3 points. I highly suggest to everyone to invest in this stock...all the reports are saying nothing but good things about this stock... I am staying on top of it..

Just thought I would share!

Dan