f body guys question

SRTurbo04

If you're worried about miles per gallon dont get an f-body. If you plan on driving it year round there are plenty of other cars to choose from that can be just as fast (if not faster) when modded correctly.

If they are getting 28mpg that is pretty damn good.

If they are getting 28mpg that is pretty damn good.

Some get over 30... But SRT boy is going to mod his :cool:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.8 gal.

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)

Manual: 19 mpg / 28 mpg

Automatic: : 18 mpg / 26 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)

Manual: 319.2 mi. / 470.4 mi.

Automatic: 302.4 mi. / 436.8 mi.

haha nooo ill keep it stock........ i thought about other cars but i wanr rwd i want v8...and for the money the camaro /ta is the best bet

Question for the LS fans out there, from what i see the 6.0L GTO are kinda slow because they are so damn heavy, i like the engine bay and how they appear to be more friendly to work on but for me the wieght is a big issue. Is it possable to get a gto down to a more managble transmarobird wieght without sacrificing alot? (aka strieght axle swap?)

Coming from the ford camp, wieght is just as important in going fast in a strieght line as HP, also makes it easier on driveline parts. in Final, is buying an f-body and sacrificing the .3L/and ease of of wrenchablility worth it for the wieght advantage over the GTO?

Question for the LS fans out there, from what i see the 6.0L GTO are kinda slow because they are so damn heavy, i like the engine bay and how they appear to be more friendly to work on but for me the wieght is a big issue. Is it possable to get a gto down to a more managble transmarobird wieght without sacrificing alot? (aka strieght axle swap?)

Coming from the ford camp, wieght is just as important in going fast in a strieght line as HP, also makes it easier on driveline parts. in Final, is buying an f-body and sacrificing the .3L/and ease of of wrenchablility worth it for the wieght advantage over the GTO?

I have seen stock GTOs in the 13s which is right there with stock f-bodys, so the power and displacement makes up for the weight. I like both cars, but would rather put the LS2 out of the GTO and into my Camaro.

And to answer the threads original question, my car has a cam and stall converter, and is hard to get better than 10-12 mpg in city driving. Of course slow isn't really an option since this is my fun car. Stock it got better gas mileage than my wife's Impala, and we always took the Camaro on longer trips because it was so great on the highway.

I wish I got 319 for a tank in the city about a third of that. I'm lucky if I get 230 a tank on average. I got 300 when I was driving to Myrtle Beach. I lost some mpg when I went with my 3:73's but gained more back with my cat back. I'm averaging about 22mpg running around town but have been as low as 17mpg for a tank when I play alot. I like everyone else says, it's what the right foot does that makes all the difference. Oh and I have a 6-speed TA, go with the TA's if you ask me the camero's are more populated.

I got 19.6 on about every tank with my f-body six speed with 4.10 gears, cold air, exhaust dump, ported MAF, 160 T-stat-- That was an LT1 car- LS1 cars are about the same or better. Our LS1 car was a 99 SS that was an automatic so gas mileage sucked in comparison- however it ran 13.6 bone stock letting the transmission do its thing (no manual shifting).

Common f-body problems are failing power windows, t-top seals, rear-end failure, oil consumption on models before 01, and subframe damage (uneven gap along front door and front quarter from guys that mod and drag race them with sticky tires without subframe connectors- oh the flip top headlights on the firebirds also have a plastic gear that fails, you can flip it once then you need to get a brass replacement.

They are neat cars with a decent backseat- doors are heavy as hell due to the side impact protection. Very difficult to work on though- especially the LT1 cars.

HTH,

Andrew

Oh and I have a 6-speed TA, go with the TA's if you ask me the camero's are more populated.

More populated? Lets' see what that T/As got under the hood.

Oh wait I know whats in there. Don't mind me just messin with my buddy.

More populated? Lets' see what that T/As got under the hood.

Oh wait I know whats in there. Don't mind me just messin with my buddy.

You know it's true, count the difference, besides the fact that three quarts of them are v6's, you see more camero's.

Side not, you must not have left for work yet, I don't hear you leave...

They are neat cars with a decent backseat- doors are heavy as hell due to the side impact protection. Very difficult to work on though- especially the LT1 cars.

HTH,

Andrew

I disagree. The Formula has been by far the easiest vehicle I've had that I've worked on. Except for maybe my 2000 silverado I had.

some stock ls2 gtos' are breaking into the 12's and should consistently run low 13's

stock ls1 gtos should consistently run high to mid 13's and occasionally better. there a few ls1 gto owners on here that have gone 13.6 or better with them

as for weight...no there isnt much you can do without sacrificing alot. there are a few minor things you can do to drop a couple hundred pounds though. most owners can get their race weight somwhere in the 3500lb range

You would be suprised what these GTO's can do. Heavy as hell yes, but stock for stock I would put it on GTO's. On numerous occasions I have and taken out plenty of stock f-bodies. Drag bags, DR's, and a tune and you can see a stock goat go 13 flats and break into 12's and this from a LS1. Mine personally went 13.5's spinning and hopping. I am glad I did not go f-body