2010 Mustang with 5.0?

Tshensley

The last thing the modular motor needs is more stroke. the dimensions are roughly 3.55" x 3.55" compared to the 5.0 4" x 3" I understand the longer stroke is so make more torque out of the smaller diplacement, but building HP in a smaller displacement engine means turning higher RPM, more RPM = more piston speed and less longevity. the 5.0 is actually dimensionally better equipt for higher rpm as far as bore/stroke ratio vs. the modular, it just doesn't have 4 valves to do it.

The modular as we have it currently can't be bored much over .020 before needing re sleeved, if they would have used a OHC design and left the bore and stroke identical to the 5.0 we would be looking at a nasty N/A motor even with the 2 valve OHC heads.

All this is also ignoring another aspect of the evil smaller bore V8. valve shrouding :(

Knowing ford they will prolly stick with a bored 4.6 and remake they 5.0 but even then dont forget the twin turbo setups they are researching called the twin force... factory twin turbo v8 anyone? IF they really wanna do it right they and spend a bit more money, ford is devolping a BOSS series motor. The motor is a 6.2 liter v8 producing around 425 hp 425 torque. It will have the ability to be a 7.0 liter aswell. It will be a sohc motor like the 4.6 but will possibly later have a high po dohc setup. They are testing a 650hp dohc twin turbo 6.2 aswell.

BOSS series info

THe TT setup you're referring to is ECOboost and will be a v-6 only from what I read. Also it am be going in the fusion first. But 450 hp and 300ish ft lbs are what they are saying so far.

Guest 78novaman
I've heard there may be a smaller version of the Boss engine. They are supposed to be DOHC vs the current single, and direct injection should be standard???

Guest fist302
THe TT setup you're referring to is ECOboost and will be a v-6 only from what I read. Also it am be going in the fusion first. But 450 hp and 300ish ft lbs are what they are saying so far.

Iv seen the TT v6 info but i was reffering to the v8 they are testing.

"A "TwinForce" 6.2 L DOHC 4-valve, twin-turbo, GDI version of the Boss is being developed and has reportedly produced over 650 lb·ft (881 N·m) in testing, although there are no known plans time to install this engine in a production application".

I would imagine they would consider using the TT v6 aswell in the next mustang.