Rear Dif problems on an 8.8

Rob1647545496

(This is Preston posting under robs name)

Recently I had a new differential and 4:10 gears installed (after I broke my stock differential.) I had everything installed and the cover started leaking. I removed the cover and replaced it with a cheap chrome one from JEGS, it was still leaking. Tonight I decided to go ahead and pull the cover back off and reseal it. When I pulled the cover off I found that the gear had been rubbing the new cover. I have only had it on there for maybe 2 weeks. What does everyone thinkg about this? should I go ahead and buy a Girdle? Do they have more clearence? I checked the gears out they seem to be completely fine. I am just concerned if there is a bigger problem that I am over looking? I also remember after I pulled the stock one off to install the new cover it had similiar marks in it.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2eea8mg.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/t869fd.jpg

Was this diff cover specifically for the 8.8 in the sn97 body style? I'm not sure if there is a big difference, but, it wouldn't take too much to get some rub. Just judging by the look of my girdle, I think it would have a good bit more clearance. I've been bad about giving you a call. I'm not a rear end guy but, I haven't had a cover leak when I was done. If you grab a girdle and you want a hand just give me a call. 614-323-3306.

My ex had an 8.8 rear in her fox vert it leaked bad i took it off used a grinder cleaned the cover and diff itself and used a new gasket with no rtv hasn't leaked a drop to this day...

My 8.8 rear end never leaked a drop then i put a mac girdle on it and it leaked a lil bit....but then i re tightend it and it works great holds 3 quarts instead of 2 now so yea it must have more clearance and looks awesome..

look on corral.net search mac 8.8 covers and you can get them new for 99.99 shipped.

http://a931.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_dd2cf7594f5614b419340e62a9eea99a.jpg

My ex had an 8.8 rear in her fox vert it leaked bad i took it off used a grinder cleaned the cover and diff itself and used a new gasket with no rtv hasn't leaked a drop to this day...

My 8.8 rear end never leaked a drop then i put a mac girdle on it and it leaked a lil bit....but then i re tightend it and it works great holds 3 quarts instead of 2 now so yea it must have more clearance and looks awesome..

look on corral.net search mac 8.8 covers and you can get them new for 99.99 shipped.

I always use RTV personally. I don't really like the gasket sets for the diff. A little trick is to just put the sealant on and then wait for ~10 mins or so. After that just follow the proper bolt pattern and torque.

Thanks for the help, Rob is taking this cover back tomorrow and see what jegs says. If they will return it I will just buy there girdle for 150. I want to get it back together this weeekend, then hopefully swap in the built tranny and new clutch. I want to get this thing back together for some racing.