3.8l L67 NA Help

Bad

Anyone a guru in the 3.8L L67? Just removed the UIM and LIM from my daily driver, a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville, and looking for someone to talk to you about if I need to pull the heads off the car--the whole instigator for this project was a radical coolant leak sprouting from just above the block/radiator hose. The dex "Mississippi mud" coolant was squirting out over the sepertine belt.

I think this is a head gasket, but everywhere I look people say you cannot blow the head gasket on this engine.

Directions to gurus appreciated as well. Thanks.

Tony

You can indeed blow a headgasket on an L67.

Of course one can destroy anything. Don't take it literally. Do you have a personal experience to share?

Guest mrhobbz
Of course one can destroy anything. Don't take it literally. Do you have a personal experience to share?

Very little, helped my buddy put everything back together on his L67 after he cobbled it all up and lost a bunch of head bolts.

Anyone a guru in the 3.8L L67? Just removed the UIM and LIM from my daily driver, a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville, and looking for someone to talk to you about if I need to pull the heads off the car--the whole instigator for this project was a radical coolant leak sprouting from just above the block/radiator hose. The dex "Mississippi mud" coolant was squirting out over the sepertine belt.

I think this is a head gasket, but everywhere I look people say you cannot blow the head gasket on this engine.

Directions to gurus appreciated as well. Thanks.

Tony

So your 93 Bonneville has a L67? Unless you did a swap (that i doubt) then it doesn't have an L67. Do you have a little m62 on it? If so it's a series 1 motor, not a series 2.

Also, I didn't think they put Dexcool in pre 96 cars? I don't think they even invented the crap u ntil 96.

Anyways.. you already tore it down so you really can't check it. My guess if that you possibly cracked the coolant elbow going from the LIM to the Water pump housing.

Guest mrhobbz
So your 93 Bonneville has a L67? Unless you did a swap (that i doubt) then it doesn't have an L67. Do you have a little m62 on it? If so it's a series 1 motor, not a series 2.

Also, I didn't think they put Dexcool in pre 96 cars? I don't think they even invented the crap u ntil 96.

Anyways.. you already tore it down so you really can't check it. My guess if that you possibly cracked the coolant elbow going from the LIM to the Water pump housing.

You're right on the dexcool bit. Overlooked the part where its a bonneville too :p

Buck is right, its more than likely a series 1.

Sorry, it's a L27 Series one. Confirmed it. L26 was in series one and two, my car is NA, therefore L27. I confirmed it from the VIN and the information on the spare tire cover.

The coolant is Dex.

The elbow you mention was already replaced a year ago. No leak there. The current leak/squirt was coming from under the coils, straight at the passenger fender well. Ok, it wasn't spraying, but it was launching the coolant out at about 1-3" from under the coils. The coils attach to the head.

check the waterpump and the hose your kind of stuck there if you can't find the leak bite the bullet and throw a new set of head gaskets on it to be sure you cover all the bases

Thanks, Dave.

I was guessing that it was NOT the head gasket since I was NOT blowing clouds of smoke and steam out the tail pipe.

Going to do the LIM, UIM, and the front head gasket then. Suggestions on best place for gaskets? And shop manuals?