ARP head studs torque

tristanlee85

I think one of the reasons I lost compression on my engine was due to head pitting but also because I think there was an issue with my head studs. From what I read from ARP, the studs should be finger tight into the block. When you tighten the nuts down, you do a 22ft lb, 37ft lb, then 60 ft lb tightening pattern (which I did). When I removed the head, 4 of the 10 studs were loose from the block. I don't feel like putting them back in again finger tight so does anything think 10 to 15 ft lbs of the studs would be too much?

I'm talking about the studs into the block. Not the nuts after the head is on. ARP recommends no more than 60 ft lbs though I know of people who have went to 70 or so, but in either way this isn't my issue. Those nuts didn't come loose. The studs themselves were loose in the block after I took the head off.

1/2 turn past strip is best. you could also cross threat them as that works better than lock tight.

lol ive always snug them also, then after you do the sequence, after 500 miles I re-check my work. never had any issues with them.