Question about Brakeline

civicboy375

Have a 1995 Ford Taurus I'm dealing with at the moment and the brake line has a hole in it, ie, I don't have brakes. Where would I find the best deal to have it patched? Is it better to just have someone run new brakes lines? I plan on selling or trading the car at some point, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. It only has approx 46,000 miles, but it's physically beat up and there are holes in the exhaust, so it sounds very throaty. I simply don't want to throw money into it and not get my money back when I sell it. Ideas.......

Guest mrhobbz
Have a 1995 Ford Taurus I'm dealing with at the moment and the brake line has a hole in it, ie, I don't have brakes. Where would I find the best deal to have it patched? Is it better to just have someone run new brakes lines? I plan on selling or trading the car at some point, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. It only has approx 46,000 miles, but it's physically beat up and there are holes in the exhaust, so it sounds very throaty. I simply don't want to throw money into it and not get my money back when I sell it. Ideas.......

I'll give you junk yard price for it?

Or have the new owner die driving it?

When it's sold, whoever the new owner is, he or she will clearly be aware of the fact that the brakes need to be replaced BEFORE the car can be driven, PERIOD. Didn't think I needed to state the obvious, but I'll go ahead and do so.

Guest mrhobbz
Not sure if that's the route I'm going to go yet, but I'd be curious what it's worth as a junker.

Hehe, i'd run new brake lines. Better be safe than sorry. If you do decide to sell it give me a holler I'm going to be looking at another daily here soon.

Cut and flare the line, cut and flare the line a little further back, get a piece of 12" premade brake line with the fittings on there then put together.

That's the cheap way.

Otherwise you're looking at replacing the whole line.

Hehe, i'd run new brake lines. Better be safe than sorry. If you do decide to sell it give me a holler I'm going to be looking at another daily here soon.

Thanks Jon, I'll keep that in mind. If I fix them rather than junk it, I'll probably just replace the lines all together.

Thanks man, I'll let ya know. If I fix the brakes and a few other things, rather than junk it, then I'll be looking at selling it. It'll be at least $1,000 firm.

Guest 614Streets
Cut and flare the line, cut and flare the line a little further back, get a piece of 12" premade brake line with the fittings on there then put together.

That's the cheap way.

Yeah doing this yourself is inexpensive from a materials standpoint to an extent that if you have a flaring tool , you can get the tubing from napa in a coil and fittings and run new lines. I think on that car though the flares at ends are bubble flares, which require a bubble flare tool.

If it is on the front, fix it right, buy some tube and a flare too, total cost should be under 50 bucks and maybe some cussing while you do it.

If it is a rear brake, just plug it off at the master cylinder, rear brakes only do about 10 percent of the work anyways. I'd doubt you'd ever notice.

That's the cheap way.

I would recommend this method. This car requires metric bubble flares with std. thread fittings. They are a pain in the ass to find. Go get a double flare tool, 2 fittings, 2 unions, and a small piece of brake line. It will be fixed right and it will be safe.