Speed Racer

Science Abuse

Liked it.

There are a few ways to go into this movie:

-Expecting Speed Racer, having seen the show

-Expecting a racing movie

-Expecting a fine film

If you go in expecting the show, you'll enjoy what you're watching. Expect the other two, and you'll probably be annoyed; with the exception of some faint profanity, it'll come off as a kids flick. But shit, Speed Racer was a kids show, and it was pretty much a "fantasy" racing show at that.

-The plot wasn't too complicated, but it was more than I expected.

-Graphics shifted at the directors whim. Some graphics were top-notch CGI, others were deliberatly poor to make it more "campy".

-The racing... don/t go just for the racing. My one complaint is that it was almost exclusively drifting, cuz it's hip now, I guess. The fast bits were accompanied by crazy camera movement, so you couldn't quite focus on much.

As a kid who watched speed racer, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. The drifting kept it from getting 5.

As a jaundiced movie critic, I'd probably give it 2 or 3 out of 5. Keep in mind, the show is actualyl horrible. I would watch it religiously as a kid, but I can't sit through 5 mons of it now.

I expect to go see it as someone who has watched and loved the show. I expect nothing more out of the movie.

I don't expect that anyone but Speed Racer or Mach GoGoGo fans will even get beyond "It looks stupid".

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a family film. I didn't see anything in there that I'd hide from my kids eyes. What did he say specifically? They never even showed Christina Riccis bust. :(

People not familiar with the show are probably going to be saying "WTF?" every 10 minutes. There's some inside quips throughout that look gay as hell without knowing where they come from. It would be the difference between an lol and a WTF.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a family film. I didn't see anything in there that I'd hide from my kids eyes. What did he say specifically? They never even showed Christina Riccis bust. :(

People not familiar with the show are probably going to be saying "WTF?" every 10 minutes. There's some inside quips throughout that look gay as hell without knowing where they come from. It would be the difference between an lol and a WTF.

A 3 year olds Ears?

IIRC the word "shit" was uttered once, this isn't Scar Face. ;). Profanity doesn't really bother me in such a small dose; my kid is going to hear that stuff throughout his entire life, and even as a 3 year old he knows not to say it. Sheilding your kid from it is like trying to keep them out of the sun; you're doomed to fail. Better to moderate and control their exposure as best you can, and make sure that they know that those words are bad.

My brother in law said they curse more than that. I'm not knocking the film, just the ad campain. I took my nephew to see Cars at age 2, it was great but i guess i am not comfortable taking him to a movie with profanity. Kid loves cars in general, sucks.

My brother in law said they curse more than that. I'm not knocking the film, just the ad campain. I took my nephew to see Cars at age 2, it was great but i guess i am not comfortable taking him to a movie with profanity. Kid loves cars in general, sucks.

Looked it up, sure enough there are parents sites out there that count. Even they listthe "shit" as "barely audible". Thre were a few "ass" and "damn" scattered through out, and a "god" and a "jesus". They even noted the number of times that anyone drank or smoked, or illuded to drinking or smoking.

Even they didn't give the movie a thumbs down..... though they did say it was a weird/bad flick. :p

yeh it's the American dream these days to raise a fowl mouthed, woman bashing, get rich quick thug than a respectful human being.

There's no denying that kids these days are anymore respectful than those of older generations. In fact, it's probably just the opposite.

IMO, older generations weren't nearly as sheltered, and most of them turned out fine. You want a good example of a sheltered kid these days? Just find your nearest emo.

This coming from someone who's part of the latter generation, as much as it pains me.

Just wait untill you have a child...

Yes yes, I'll have to wait -3 years. :p

-If you think that's never going to happen, you're naive

-If you think it's the medias fault, you're a fool.

Profanity has always been around and it's always been available. Kids lear the same words generation after generation.

Also, successive generations are desensitised to "bad words" as time goes on. words in your daily vocabulary now were profanity 50 years ago. Hell, allot of our contemporary profanity didn't even exist 50 years ago, or it exisisted but wasn't profane: Fag, gay, taint, ass, come, skeet, caulk, prince albert, etc.

Profanity has always existed, and it always will exist, you're not going to keep it away from your kids. Even if you do, they'll just make up new words. "Daddy, Billy called me a bwarfnar!" Aint your kids fault, it's Billies parents fault, and that's when you go talk to them. The faulk did you come up with "I'm sure you will give only "tough love""? You think I'm going to hold my kid responceble for some one else calling him something?

With a PG rating, some material may be inappropriate for younger children thus IMO, I'd say taking a child under age 8 may not be appropriate. that's just me. I don't necessarily want my kids exposed to the language or violence at age 3-5. I've not seen the movie, but it seems it was targeting the parents and perhaps some parents who have kids older than say age 8 or so.

There's enough in life for them to deal with just being a kid in todays world. They are no way a 3-5 year old is mature enough to process a casual 'shit' or sexual innuendo's or even movie violence appropriately.

Some people may believe it's not a big deal, but then, IMO, that's an slacker attitude or typical or fine for everyone attitude, but I'm not raising just another kid or one that I want to be typical or casually and inexcusably like the kids down the street.

They way I look at it is these are my kids and I believe if you don't raise them to be 100% the best 'kid" they can be you'll simply end up like the majority of folks and have kids that are below a 100% rating. You don't hit the target unless you aim for it. Having a kid that knows it's not okay to hit or use ignorant adult phrases is one thing, having one that truly doesn't want to approach life in those ways in completely different.

Personally, it's not about shielding them or creating a "pussy" kid, it's about us as parents making informed and mature choices for someone their age so that they understand the difference about what may be generally acceptable and what is right and recognizing why some things are wrong.

If we as parents don't do this, the countless other exposures to these things from outside your home will definitely take root in our kids. I don't want that and I know that if I don't start putting the proper building blocks in place at home, they will likely not be put in place for them outside the home.

CARS on the other hand is a great movie.

Yes yes, I'll have to wait -3 years. :p

-If you think that's never going to happen, you're naive

-If you think it's the medias fault, you're a fool.

Profanity has always been around and it's always been available. Kids lear the same words generation after generation.

Also, successive generations are desensitised to "bad words" as time goes on. words in your daily vocabulary now were profanity 50 years ago. Hell, allot of our contemporary profanity didn't even exist 50 years ago, or it exisisted but wasn't profane: Fag, gay, taint, ass, come, skeet, caulk, prince albert, etc.

Profanity has always existed, and it always will exist, you're not going to keep it away from your kids. Even if you do, they'll just make up new words. "Daddy, Billy called me a bwarfnar!" Aint your kids fault, it's Billies parents fault, and that's when you go talk to them. The faulk did you come up with "I'm sure you will give only "tough love""? You think I'm going to hold my kid responceble for some one else calling him something?

I never said I was always going to keep it away, but I can preserve her innocence as long as I can, isn't that the job of a father?

My comment was to austin btw. I should have quoted.