Gas at 3.95

staywide8

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first BIG economic hit our Generation (and our Parents, to a point) has faced.

Many now are going back to how things used to be: Cooking meals themselves, cheap near home entertainment, and maybe 1-2 "trips" per year.

Things will only get "worse" before they get "better". I do not see something like the Great Depression happening again, but a large recession WILL ocur.

:(

KillJoy

This is the first BIG economic hit our Generation (and our Parents, to a point) has faced.

Many now are going back to how things used to be: Cooking meals themselves, cheap near home entertainment, and maybe 1-2 "trips" per year.

Things will only get "worse" before they get "better". I do not see something like the Great Depression happening again, but a large recession WILL ocur.

:(

KillJoy

This isn't the first our generation has seen, although I was just a child. They rationed fuel in the early 80s. It isn't that bad yet, so I'm not worrying too much. Just pinching pennies.

This isn't the first our generation has seen, although I was just a child. They rationed fuel in the early 80s. It isn't that bad yet, so I'm not worrying too much. Just pinching pennies.

Or maybe when the market lost 25% of it's value in 1 day in 1987

So... in 1987 you were living on your own, or remember the pinching of pennies by your parents?

I sure as hell don't.

KillJoy

Are you talking to me? If so, I said early 80s referring to 1980 to 1982. I also said I was just a child. However, my generation was alive for it as were my parents.

If you are talking to LJ, nevermind him. It wasn't a recession.

So... in 1987 you were living on your own, or remember the pinching of pennies by your parents?

I sure as hell don't.

KillJoy

Wow, jump on me because I bring up the WORST fucking market crash in U.S. history

The Crash was the greatest single-day loss that Wall Street had ever suffered in continuous trading up to that point. Between the start of trading on October 14th to the close on October 19, the DJIA lost 760 points, a decline of over 31 percent.

The 1987 Crash was a worldwide phenomenon. The FTSE 100 Index lost 10.8% on that Monday and a further 12.2% the following day. In the month of October, all major world markets declined substantially. The least affected was Austria (a fall of 11.4%) while the most affected was Hong Kong with a drop of 45.8%. Out of 23 major industrial countries, 19 had a decline greater than 20%.[3]

People lost their retirements, college savings, extra income, companies lost billions in market cap leading to mass layoffs

Are you talking to me? If so, I said early 80s referring to 1980 to 1982. I also said I was just a child. However, my generation was alive for it as were my parents.

If you are talking to LJ, nevermind him. It wasn't a recession.

no fucking shit it wasn't a recession, but it was one of the hardest hits the U.S. economy has ever taken

And at 23, YOU were hit hard by it?

You were 2!

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

You don't even know what you, yourself, posted

I was 12 and didn't remember anything different. My Mom was very frugle all my life though. My mom Drove a 1980 rabbit in 87, I was so embarrased to ride in that thing to school. Now I want the hybrid diesel one to come to america. :)

Wow, jump on me because I bring up the WORST fucking market crash in U.S. history

People lost their retirements, college savings, extra income, companies lost billions in market cap leading to mass layoffs

Where did you learn about the "1987 Crash" more commonly known as Black Monday? I'm just curious, because it seems someone lied to you. Yes it was bad, but the market was over inflated (just like in the 90s with the dot com boom, and just like we're seeing now in the housing market). It started the year out at 1897 points, then jumped to 2722 points in August. The market corrected itself, but still closed the year up at 1939 points.

Where did you learn about the "1987 Crash" more commonly known as Black Monday? I'm just curious, because it seems someone lied to you. Yes it was bad, but the market was over inflated (just like in the 90s with the dot com boom, and just like we're seeing now in the housing market). It started the year out at 1897 points, then jumped to 2722 points in August. The market corrected itself, but still closed the year up at 1939 points.

It still took 2 years to recover. Companies were out billions and it slowed a lot of growth that was occuring... wait...sounds a lot like what is happening now... the DJI lost 15% between Dec 10 2007 and Mar 10 2008, growth is slowing, and companies were losing market cap, yet now the DJI is back up to 12,830 gaining around 8 % back in 2 months

Similarities.. I think so

It still took 2 years to recover. Companies were out billions and it slowed a lot of growth that was occuring... wait...sounds a lot like what is happening now... the DJI lost 15% between Dec 10 2007 and Mar 10 2008, growth is slowing, and companies were losing market cap, yet now the DJI is back up to 12,830 gaining around 8 % back in 2 months

Similarities.. I think so

:gtfo:

No, it took two years for the market to get back to its overinflated levels..... You're failing to remember it jumped 43% in seven months. It inflated too quickly. A fall was inevitable.

Please tell me you're studying computers or biology and not economics.