Bad rings or bad valve sealing?

tristanlee85

7psi doesn't quite feel like 7psi probably because my compression is 145 - 170 - 163 - 178. How could I determine whether it's rings or valves? I am assuming a leakdown test would tell me if my rings are bad, yes? What about valves?

7psi doesn't quite feel like 7psi probably because my compression is 145 - 170 - 163 - 178. How could I determine whether it's rings or valves? I am assuming a leakdown test would tell me if my rings are bad, yes? What about valves?

Leak down test. You can hear where it's leaking. Crankcase, exhaust, intake, etc...

I'll give that a shot. I didn't get a valve job on the head, but I used lapping compound to try and create a nice mating surface between the valves and the head.

Did you fill the ports with water and watch for leaks? Quick and easy way to see if you have a good seal.

You can also pour a little oil in the cylinder you are compression checking. If compression comes back it's probably rings.

doesn't always work, i did that to a L6 and it brought the compression back up but it was a burnt valve and the little bit of oil that was forced out the exhaust port just cranking it over was enough to seal the valve to the head and take it from 120psi to 155psi. i was glad i checked the head before taking the engine out for a rebuild.

doesn't always work, i did that to a L6 and it brought the compression back up but it was a burnt valve and the little bit of oil that was forced out the exhaust port just cranking it over was enough to seal the valve to the head and take it from 120psi to 155psi. i was glad i checked the head before taking the engine out for a rebuild.

Yeah I know it's a ghetto way to do it. Leak down is the proper test procedure.

Compression and leak down will determine your problem. Just make sure you have the valves (TDC) closed on the piston(s) you are checking. Is your car smoking? What color is it? I am leaning more towards bad rings.

This engine also has 50 - 100 miles on it (not accurate because my speedometer didn't work for a few drives). Should I give it a few hundred more miles before tearing into the engine? I don't expect the 145psi cylinder to jump up to 180psi, but maybe there is a chance it could increase a little.

170psi doesn't worry me. I'm just worried about consistency.

Compression and leak down will determine your problem. Just make sure you have the valves (TDC) closed on the piston(s) you are checking. Is your car smoking? What color is it? I am leaning more towards bad rings.

No smoke at all. None at idle, none under boost, and none under a hard engine brake.

This engine also has 50 - 100 miles on it (not accurate because my speedometer didn't work for a few drives). Should I give it a few hundred more miles before tearing into the engine? I don't expect the 145psi cylinder to jump up to 180psi, but maybe there is a chance it could increase a little.

170psi doesn't worry me. I'm just worried about consistency.

talk to us when you have 500 on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my plugs tonight and did another compression test. Somehow I made it to 800 miles. Amazing. Anyway, now I've got 135 - 179 - 180 - 179.

Is there any reason not to use this (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94190) as opposed to the $75 one at Jegs?

I haven't had a problem with my Harbor Freight tester. If I had access to a better one, I would use it; that being said, I still use my Harbor Freight one.

Well Rob hooked me up, but we couldn't see much of a difference between my weak cylinder and a good one. My weak one leaked about 3% - 5% more. I did a compression test again with oil in each cylinder this time and they were all between 178 and 183.

Thanks again, Rob.

Guest Removed
Well Rob hooked me up, but we couldn't see much of a difference between my weak cylinder and a good one. My weak one leaked about 3% - 5% more. I did a compression test again with oil in each cylinder this time and they were all between 178 and 183.

Thanks again, Rob.

what was it dry?

no prop man..just hit the trader rating ;)