h.i.d. help

brennan

well, i ended up getting a set of 5000k hid's for christmas. i have them hooked up and working fine, but i ran into this dilemma. i don't know where to mount my ballasts (i'm thinking to just trowing them up under my windscreen on top of my bundle of harness that's there already). my main real dillema is, i don't know what to do about water-proofing my housings now. with the wiring mess, i don't know what to do about putting the back cap back on. pictures provided below. any suggestions are appreciated.

hids002.jpg

iwq2dk.jpg

mmsuwj.jpg

Could you put a notch on the bottom of the housing for the wires to pass through.

put the cap back on.

put some silicone in the notch around the wires.

it will help you hide the wires too.

Sorry thats all i got.

ummm, mil-spec method is to make new holes for the items, and use water-proof grommets in the holes around the wires. First type is for round holes, but if the wire and connectors won't fit through the hole size specified to be cut, you have to go to the other type, that uses a square hole instead of a round hole. The square hole can be cut on the edge of the existing big hole on the back of the enclosure. It can be a bit messy if surface is curved, or if the pop in cover doesn't want to work with this. Some black silicone RTV can finish it off, the pliable type that can be peeled off later. A good shot of silicone spray or silicone grease will often be enough to keep water away. Paint won't stick to silicone. A third alternative is using the edge protector type grommet, a custom make-to-fit thing. It fits the edge of any cut hole like the edging on a window trim or stuff. That can be made any size to fit any bundle of wires. Heyco was the brand of grommet used for everything I can remember. I swear I remember another type using a D shaped hole at the edge of an opening, but I can't find that type.

http://www.heyco.com/index.html

http://www.heyco.com/sitemap.html

Do these ballasts require cooling? I've seen some mounted in and around the fork triple tree, out in the airstream. I guess those are water-proof.

Edit: you can also get plugs to close the same holes when you don't need them anymore.

Edited by ReconRat
added stuff

I cut holes in my caps and ran some rtv gasket maker around the wires to ensure water tight seal. My ballasts are mounted to my front fairing not completely exposed to the elements but not completely sheltered either. I have had 0 problems in the last 2 years.

I cut holes in my caps and ran some rtv gasket maker around the wires to ensure water tight seal. My ballasts are mounted to my front fairing not completely exposed to the elements but not completely sheltered either. I have had 0 problems in the last 2 years.

can you post pics where yours are mounted and how you ran things?

i did this this summer on the same bike and posted a little tutorial on it....

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=16363

as for suggestions, i would take off the brights HID light as HIDs dont like rapid flicking on and off, plus you could make some extra $$ by selling half the kit and picking up a silverstar headlight if you really want the look instead of the practicality.

i did this this summer on the same bike and posted a little tutorial on it....

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=16363

as for suggestions, i would take off the brights HID light as HIDs dont like rapid flicking on and off, plus you could make some extra $$ by selling half the kit and picking up a silverstar headlight if you really want the look instead of the practicality.

thanks for the link man

i'll just leave the kit for now. i ride with my brights on during the day, and low at night. if it starts popping fuses, i'll sell the high.

okay, so i ran my wires through the little rubber protective thing haha. i'll do the same as Benyen Soljax did with the back of the cover, except i think i'm going to keep my ballasts behind my windscreen. good or bad idea? i saw a company do it on an h.i.d. install on youtube.

hids007.jpg

hids004.jpg

hids005.jpg