Fatality on I-270, Involving Wrong Way Driver.

jagr

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/12/25/i270crash.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

Fatal crash closes part of I-270

Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:14 AM

Updated: Thursday, December 25, 2008 12:03 PM

By Elizabeth Gibson

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

i270crash.jpg Elizabeth Gibson | Dispatch

The crash scene, looking east at I-270 from the Jackson Pike overpass.

At least one person was killed in a crash involving a wrong-way driver on the South Outerbelt this morning.

At least six other people were injured in the crash, which happened about 10:30 a.m.

Witnesses said a car was driving the wrong way down the middle of eastbound traffic on I-270.

Grove City resident Sean Downs, 41, said he was traveling westbound when he looked across the median and saw the white car. He said it had to be going more than 95 miles per hour when it crashed.

"It was something surreal," he said. "I'm surprised he made it as far as he did. People were dodging like crazy."

Two cars swerved off the road, one rolling, to get out of the way, Downs said. When the car reached the overpass at Jackson Pike, he said, it collided with a van that couldn't get out of the way.

Columbus resident Robert Crawford, 27, said he dodged the vehicle a few minutes before the crash as he headed east on I-270.

"He headed right for us," said Crawford. "It was like he was trying to hit us. He had the pedal to the floor."

He said was driving Christmas presents for his children from his mother's house to his own home when a white car suddenly whizzed into sight over a rise in I-270 near Alum Creek Drive. He watched cars scramble to clear the road in his rearview mirror.

Authorities have closed I-270 eastbound at I-71. Several law-enforcement agencies are on the scene.

The injured were taken to Grant Medical Center and Mt. Carmel West hospital.

I hope this dipshit driver is suffering an eternity of being eaten alive by flaming demon hounds in whatever afterlife he may be committed to. I feel no sympathy for his/her death whatsoever, and hope it was exceedingly painful.

If someone wants to kill themselves, that's fine. Do it in such a way that doesn't endanger others.

My heart goes out to the innocent victims of this tragedy :(

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/12/25/i270crash.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

Driver ID'd in Outerbelt crash

The Franklin County sheriff's office said the driver's unofficial Ohio ID card identified him as Altunar Baltazar, 24, of 807 Derrer Rd.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, but medics later decided he was still showing signs of life and sent him to Ohio State University Medical Center. However, hospital officials said they had no patient with that name. The crash happened about 10:20 a.m. and for more than five hours closed I-270 eastbound at I-71.