Investments.

Guest mrhobbz

Guest mrhobbz
So after my raise I have a good bit more money to throw around and I've decided I want to start investing most of it. I've never really invested in anything except the few bullshit bonds I have that won't amount to hardly any yield. Does anyone have any suggestions that might point me in the right direction. I'd like something low risk, high yield.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrhobbz
join the club

There has to be something with a higher yield than bonds these days. They used to be worth buying, a fucking joke and a half now.

Guest tbutera2112
my best advice is to go talk to a financial adviser at your bank...they helped my dad invest a good amount of money and he has no idea what he was doing either

Guest mrhobbz
my best advice is to go talk to a financial adviser at your bank...they helped my dad invest a good amount of money and he has no idea what he was doing either

I may just start dumping everything into a retirement fund.

Guest tbutera2112

we did a spreadsheet about this in one my classes at school...if you start saving at your age even if its just alittle bit per check, the interetest rate will grow enough over time that you will end up with a large sum of cash when you are finally ready to retire

i wish i could remember the exact numbers we used...i want to say it was like 200 a month or something and after 40 or 50 years came out as 1.1million after interest ....sorry if thats way off, like i said i dont remember the numbers exactly...but i know the savings amount was reasonable and the end result was over a million

Guest mrhobbz
we did a spreadsheet about this in one my classes at school...if you start saving at your age even if its just alittle bit per check, the interetest rate will grow enough over time that you will end up with a large sum of cash when you are finally ready to retire

i wish i could remember the exact numbers we used...i want to say it was like 200 a month or something and after 40 or 50 years came out as 1.1million after interest ....sorry if thats way off, like i said i dont remember the numbers exactly...but i know the savings amount was reasonable and the end result was over a million

Yeah I'm looking at a roth IRA through fidelity, $200/mo.

I have been investing in the stock market for the past 9 years.

It used to be suggested that you get into a long-term low risk tpye stock... which I did (with the advice from my father, who has made an enormous bit of money in the stock market) with a company called cisco systems... IT was doing amazing up until sept. 11th 2001 where it crashed horribly (hard to believe......)

NOW, i won't keep my money in ANY stock for more than 3 months, and i've seen my best return percentages (which is to be expected)

For example: I got a tip 2 months ago about BWLD (buffalo wild wings) exploding and i put money into it 2 weeks prior to their quarterly earnings public announcement..... they made their 1/4 earnings announcement and the stock skyrocketed (as i predicted/was tipped) and i sold it one week after....

so in 3 weeks time i made 31% on my investment... which is almost unheard of.

Anyhow, that is just one example of my i will NEVER get into a buy & hold stock.. it's a thing of the past... in my humble opinion...

Guest mrhobbz
I have been investing in the stock market for the past 9 years.

It used to be suggested that you get into a long-term low risk tpye stock... which I did (with the advice from my father, who has made an enormous bit of money in the stock market) with a company called cisco systems... IT was doing amazing up until sept. 11th 2001 where it crashed horribly (hard to believe......)

NOW, i won't keep my money in ANY stock for more than 3 months, and i've seen my best return percentages (which is to be expected)

For example: I got a tip 2 months ago about BWLD (buffalo wild wings) exploding and i put money into it 2 weeks prior to their quarterly earnings public announcement..... they made their 1/4 earnings announcement and the stock skyrocketed (as i predicted/was tipped) and i sold it one week after....

so in 3 weeks time i made 31% on my investment... which is almost unheard of.

Anyhow, that is just one example of my i will NEVER get into a buy & hold stock.. it's a thing of the past... in my humble opinion...

I've wanted to play with stocks a little bit actually, any recommended trading companies?

Guest mrhobbz
Don't get a condo, especially at your age. You don't want to live that close to someone if you are purchasing the place

Why not? It wouldn't bother me, nice neighborhood, and with my down payment rent would run me 275$/mo on a 30 year loan.

Mind you.. by definition i am an art major. i never took a financials class (let alone economics or business) but i do come from a lineage of investors. I recieved a book about investing for my highschool graduation 6 years ago... and it had a similar formula...

I think that it was something like ....

1. you start at age 25

2. invest 250 a month for 8 years (24,000 total inv.)

3. you must keep the money in the inv. for 40 years total

And supposedly at age 65 you are supposed to have 1.6 million to retire on...

***Special Note*** - you must find something that will give (avg.) 10% Return on investment per year (ie- powerful mutual fund would be the safest bet)

***Special note #2***

It's a decent calculation if you want to retire when you are 65...obviously (for me at least) i have tailored the plan to allow me to retire earlier and with more money than 1.5-6 million...

Then you get into the whole "IRA Vs. Roth" Battle... etc

Guest mrhobbz
You're young and will want to throw a party I'm sure, very few times will that go over well in those types of neighborhoods.

I actually don't party like most people. I'm usually too busy working.

I've wanted to play with stocks a little bit actually, any recommended trading companies?

are you asking who i trade with, or what i trade?

I trade with...

Datek - $9.99 a trade (i think)

TD Ameritrade - 12.99 a trade (IIRC)

No one (on our financial level, or even my father's financial level) trades with a personal broker anymore

I trade/have traded...

Cisco Systems (CSCO)

BW3 (BWLD)

Fedex (FDX)

My next big thing.... penny stocks!!!!

I mean do what you do. I really don't know you or how you live. I'm just a similar age and was tryin to relate that way.

I just bought a house out here in London. 4 bedroom, 2 bath, loft, full basement(not finished yet) and a 2 car garage. About 1,700 sq/ft. I love it. My brother moved in with me and i might have a friend come in too.

why are you guys telling him to buy real estate right now?

in the time it takes him to sit on it (live in it) and sell it when the market rebounds he could have made much larger profit on a wise investment involving at least some risk...

I trade with...

No one (on our financial level, or even my father's financial level) trades with a personal broker anymore

I trade/have traded...

Cisco Systems (CSCO)

BW3 (BWLD)

Fedex (FDX)

You have a PM on the way....

Put 4k a year into a Roth IRA starting now and you will be a happy mofo when you retire. My honest opinion would be, dont mess with stocks yet. If you put 4k into your Roth IRA this year, and you are already contributing to a 401k, and you STILL have money to play with, then you can play with stocks. Way more benefit doing an IRA and 401k first.

Guest tbutera2112
oh i dont think he should buy real estate...i think thats a horrible idea...i was just saying that if he wanted a condo, he doesnt have to have one thats attached to his neighbors condo....dont see many setup like that so i figured i would let him know incase he wasnt aware

Guest mrhobbz

I trade with...

I trade/have traded...

Cisco Systems (CSCO)

BW3 (BWLD)

Fedex (FDX)

Yeah, was wondering what company you were running through. Thought about checking out etrade.