is this real?

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112
my mom got a paper in the mail from some new york agency...it says on a certain date her car was caught running a toll and that she owes 27 dollars and its asking for a check...theres an option to file an appeal and for that it says to send your registration in....she bought her car brand new, and nobody has ever borrowed it...its never been to new york....possible identity theft or something? should she call the 800 number on the paper or just ignore it?

Guest tbutera2112
there was no picture they just put her plate number....if it was addressed to me i would rip up and move on...but it wasnt, so im just curious if this was some sort of new identity theft scam or something

Call a NY bmv and ask if its legit?

Because Im sure the New York state (or city) DMV has nothing better to do then drop what they're doing and answer your question's. Prepare to be on hold for hours.

EDIT: ok so that came off the wrong way. my point is simple. if it seems like a scam it probably is. Its pretty simple to get a huge list of plate number's and send out thousands of scam letter's. Ask for too much money and people start to ask question's about its legitimacy, ask for too little and it doesnt seem legit. How hard is it to write a check for 27$ and forget about it. Either way keep us posted.