$71,000 Evo...

SPLN SUX

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would almost bet that 80% of high end luxuary sport car buyers do not even use the car to its potential, and its more of a status statment.

I think this is true for 80% of all performance car owners. There are very few people who actually take their car to its full potential any given day. Sure, there's a lot to be said for drag racers because thats what their car's set up for, but what about this guy with this mega-evo. I guarantee he's never taken that thing 100% through any race car. It takes a pro to fully use a car to its potential. But now I'm just arguing semantics as was said before.

I think this is true for 80% of all performance car owners. There are very few people who actually take their car to its full potential any given day. Sure, there's a lot to be said for drag racers because thats what their car's set up for, but what about this guy with this mega-evo. I guarantee he's never taken that thing 100% through any race car. It takes a pro to fully use a car to its potential. But now I'm just arguing semantics as was said before.

I agree with that, but lets say i am making less then 100k, and lease or buy m5 or 911 there is no way in hell I am going to risk voiding the warrenty or racing it on the track. MY boss has a red m5 that he bought from nelson's and that car prolly has never see above 80 mph But he sure can tell you what it can do 0-60 and 1/4 mile time. But it sure looks good driving down the driveway to work all shined up. I am not saying this is all high end luxuary owners, but its the majority because who can afford them? Its either guys that are very wealthy and usually older.

what makes the evo an ecnobox? its loud inside because its a bread race car, anyone that buys one does not buy it for a comfort car, even the glass in every window is made for weightsavings, the car has no sound deadning, The rs has no Ac or radio the car prolly uses fuel as of bigger motor like v8. name another econ car that is able to be rally ready from the factory. The evo has a huge history behind it, its not a econ car by any means. The car is made to be a ralley car, not an econ car.

All these grand claims about lightweight and being stripped down and yet my car is still 500+ lbs lighter... and not an econobox

well, i still think its more of a 'bread race car' than the evo, whatever a bread race car is. and the fact that one 'does not buy it for a comfort car'

bottom line is this guy is in denial of the fact that an evo is a souped up economy car.. thats all it will ever be, and it looks like poo

well, i still think its more of a 'bread race car' than the evo, whatever a bread race car is. and the fact that one 'does not buy it for a comfort car'

bottom line is this guy is in denial of the fact that an evo is a souped up economy car.. thats all it will ever be, and it looks like poo

How so ? Completely different engine and tranny, awd instead of fwd,brembo brakes, recaro seats, aluminum panels, and completely different hood,fenders, ect. Its not like they just slapped a turbo into a lancer and called it a day.

It absolutely was a 'bred race car', it is a detuned, street version of the mitsu wrc car.

Wow

After reading that,..... your right. I wish we could all have RX7s. :rolleyes:

Souped up ? How so ? Completely different engine and tranny, awd instead of fwd,brembo brakes, recaro seats, aluminum panels, and completely different hood,fenders, ect. Its not like they just slapped a turbo into a lancer and called it a day.

It absolutely was a 'bred race car', it is a detuned, street version of the mitsu wrc car.

But at its core its still a Lancer. Just like a STI is still a Impreza and a SRT4 is still a neon. :)

But at its core its still a Lancer. Just like a STI is still a Impreza and a SRT4 is still a neon. :)

Yes I agree, it shares the name 'lancer', and has similar body proportions, that's where the similarities end.

Wikipedia:

"An econobox is a slang term for any of a series of small, boxy, fuel efficient automobiles with few luxuries, usually with a three-door hatchback format and front wheel drive. The term may have been coined by Car and Driver magazine as an alternative to their usual term for such a car, "shitbox"."

The Evo is NOT fuel efficient

The Evo can have leather, all power, roof, sub,.... those are luxuries

The Evo is AWD not FWD

so you're saying the Lancer is a econobox but the EVO is not?

That's exactly what im saying. Econobox translates to an economical vehicle, in terms of price, gas mileage, amenities, whatever. As I posted earlier the evo is basically the opposite of an economical vehicle. Even used, evos cost more than what you would normally consider economy cars. Cheap is usually the first thing you think of when you think "econo". Evos are not. Economy cars shove performance to the side, and function primarily as "a to b" vehicles. Evos were built with performance first. Gas mileage is usually next. Econo cars tend to have very decent miles per gallon, evos don't, especially boosting. Ya the interior plastics and such are cheap. So are a mustangs. It was purpose built to be a racecar, not an economy car.

Ofcourse if you think they're ugly, that's all 'eye of the beholder' opinions and that's fine. I happen to love the boxy 4dr look.

Wikipedia:

"An econobox is a slang term for any of a series of small, boxy, fuel efficient automobiles with few luxuries, usually with a three-door hatchback format and front wheel drive. The term may have been coined by Car and Driver magazine as an alternative to their usual term for such a car, "shitbox"."

The Evo is NOT fuel efficient

The Evo can have leather, all power, roof, sub,.... those are luxuries

The Evo is AWD not FWD

You're missing the point. What we're saying is that the EVO is BASED on an econobox. It is an econobox racecar. You're honestly going to say that any kind of "bred" race car is going to have 4 doors? give me a break. The only kind of truly bred race car you'll see on the streets is a Ferrari, because even to this day their philosophy has been to race on Sunday, sell on Monday. They sell cars to fund their racing division, as Enzo Ferrari first did when he started breeding race cars. The Lancer EVO as it is called now is an economy car that has been stripped down and rebuilt using different components. However, you don't see them redesigning the frame or relocating the engine to the middle for better performance. Its a new drivetrain, but for practicality's sake (practicality is something racers don't understand, though that usually goes without saying) they leave the car's basis - an econobox - alone.

I am not missing the point. I understand the point, it's just incorrect. The Evo exists because Mitsubishi had to comply with WRC rules stating that the cars used in competition must also be in production. What Mitsubishi did was make a great WRC car, then put it into production to stay in compliance.

Most people don't take into consideration that Evolutions were around way before 2003. Here's an interesting history on them:

First line, "From the beginning, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution existed solely to succeed in the World Rally Championship"

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0304scc_mitsubishi_lancer_history/index.html

You're missing the point. What we're saying is that the EVO is BASED on an econobox.

I will never argue that is wasn't based on an econobox body style. There are a ton of WRC regulations that limit changing certain aspects of the original base vehicle. I am simply arguing that the EVO does not fit into the definition of an economy vehicle.

its not an economical car.

it just looks like one. just like the guy who soups up his civic and it actually is fast (relatively). He will make similar arguments around the fact that it actually is fast so its ok that it has 4 doors and a tall greenhouse. He will also argue it has a motor that was race-bred (whatever swap this civic owner chooses) and it has a turbo, so it is fast.

At the end of the day , its still a freakin Civic - just like at the end of the day you're still driving a Lancer.

The difference is Honda did NOT make the civic purposely for the intent of running it in a large racing series.

On the other hand that is EXACTLY what Mitsubishi did with the Evolution.

There aren't too many performance car that don't have some relation to a regular car. Your beloved RX7 for example was Mazda's replacement for the RX3, which was available in a sedan, and even a station wagon.

All these grand claims about lightweight and being stripped down and yet my car is still 500+ lbs lighter... and not an econobox

and you drive an rx7? man thats the greatest machine ever made. Just do what everyone else is doing and get the ls1 so you can aleast make over 420hp and aleast hit 11's unlike 95% of the rx7's in columbus. Btw I use to have an rx3 savanna 73 thing sucked, but wish I kept it for the "classic reasons"

The difference is Honda did NOT make the civic purposely for the intent of running it in a large racing series.

On the other hand that is EXACTLY what Mitsubishi did with the Evolution.

There aren't too many performance car that don't have some relation to a regular car. Your beloved RX7 for example was Mazda's replacement for the RX3, which was available in a sedan, and even a station wagon.

RX3: http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9132/rx3zv4.jpg

I would rock the ever loving fuck out of that car. Hell of a lot better looking than a Lancer (or an Evo).

EDIT: At least the thing looks like a pint-sized muscle car instead of a 4 door gas saver. And it manages to do it without a helicopter wing on the back.