$71,000 Evo...

SPLN SUX

I had a lancer OZ rally..they share the interior and uni-body and thats close to it.everything else is lighter stronger or completely different,there is no way an evo is an economy car

good job reading the rest of the thread where we established that already, consider lurking more and posting less.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is Honda did NOT make the civic purposely for the intent of running it in a large racing series.

On the other hand that is EXACTLY what Mitsubishi did with the Evolution.

There aren't too many performance car that don't have some relation to a regular car. Your beloved RX7 for example was Mazda's replacement for the RX3, which was available in a sedan, and even a station wagon.

What kind of bullshit comparison is that?

The RX-3 was produced throughout most of the 70s (till 1978). At the time, Mazda has also produced other rotary cars including RX-2, RX-4, and the REPU (rotary pickup!). It was in 1979 that Mazda decided to produce a pure, lightweight sports car with a similar vision as Colin Chapman had with lotus. The RX-7 was born, and it was an affordable 2 seater with a similar goal performance-wise of the Nissan 240z. The RX-7 sold like hotcakes from 1979 to 1985 (1st gen) because it was affordable and somewhat quick. Yada Yada Mazda came out with the 2nd gen which was a bit heavier but the Turbo II was quick for its time (1987-1991) and one of the best handling cars of that era.

Then of course that leaves the FD RX-7 (1993-1995) where Mazda saw the NSX and 300zx as threats and stepped up the performance with a lightweight (sub-2800 lbs) pure sports car that " didn’t just win the numbers game, it humiliated the field" when tested against Corvettes, 300zx, Porsche 911.

... and you dont need an LS1 to make good power in an RX-7 ..

The Evo, in a lot of respects, is similar in goals of the RX-7 - fast, good handling, affordable. But it is on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to looks and general layout/packaging.

About the only thing the RX-7 and the RX-3 have in common is the rotary engine.

The "looks" comparisons are completely useless, because they are personal opinions, not facts.

The only point I was trying to get through was the fact that Mitsu made the Evolution for competition. Saying its still a Lancer is just not true. Its not even close to a "built Civic" still being a Civic, because Honda did not ever engineer the Civic to compete in anything.

I honestly don't even know why I argued this. I know there are people that love these cars and people that hate them. Same with any car.

I will say most people who dislike Evos haven't driven one or rode in one. I have had quite a few people hate on my car until they took a ride in it.

I also think the 4 door turns a lot of people off. Before I had kids, I didn't care for four doors either. Amazing thing is that this four door is faster than any of the Camaros, mustangs, or DSMs I have ever owned.

I think everything has been established that is worth mentioning.

Back on topic, that car is bid up tp 48k currently..... wow :eek:

either way this is going to shit, the evo was out before the "lancer oz" end of story the "lance oz" only been out 5 years ,evo been out since the 80's. They never made the "lancer oz" first nor do they make it in any other country and is made in normal IL USA not Japan. The "lancer oz" was built in the states upon the evo arrival in 2003 . Every mitsubishi evo is still 100% imported from japan. But on a serious note, there is not many fast rx7's in ohio. I remember seeing one of rx7 store's that use to belong to kyle , which was supposed to be over 550hp and could not even break into the 11's, Then every rx7 driver sticks up for him and say's how hard they are to launch blah blah blah if the car never performs its always the drivers gasket or somthing breaks, and it then gets smoked by ken "iwishiwascool" old talon running a 16g turbo. and prolly 30k in mods less. I am in no way shitting on rx7's I love the look of them ect ect, but they always say this and that and nothing to back them up, I am in no way saying this is all rx7 owners on here, I am just talking in general.

Actually they all came w/ ac unfortunately.

Who cares if people think Evos are econoboxes? Maybe then they will depreciate slightly more.

the evo rs and the 03 evo I checked out did not ac or radio, The early model RS never had radio, and ac, and did not come with the light weight glass and the M/C's are different with 11/32 and even the paint was different, The first owners could get A/C and radio if they ordered the car that way in the RS and GSR version. I read alot on evo.net alot And they will never depreciate because they are some what rare and only a number were imported. Its good because not everyone can get them like dsm's and trash them like every dsm is now days.

This is copy and pasted from the mitsubishi web site

"The RS and GSR. The RS version was produced as a competition car with a limited-slip front differential and a friction type LSD at the rear. It also came with GLX seats and 16" (41 cm) steel wheels as these were items that would be replaced by anyone entering the car into competition events. The RS also had wind up windows, no air conditioning, and a few extra brace bars to strengthen the chassis, one behind the front grill and the other across the boot floor. The RS also had a factory option of thinner body panels and thinner glass. The GSR and the RS shared a new twin scroll "

"The Evolution was changed again in 2003, this time sporting Super Active Yaw Control to handle traction and a 6-speed manual gearbox. It was available with 280 PS (276 hp/206 kW) in three trims: standard (GSR in Japan), RS USDM (devoid of all excess components, such as interior map lights, power windows/doors, A/C , and radio) and MR. RS Editions came with a revised limited-slip front differential. The new Evolution also sported Altezza taillights.

If an Evo does not have ac it is b/c the owner removed it. Every usdm evo came equipped w/ ac, even every RS.

Oh and there are plenty of trashed evos out there.

I have yet to see a trashed evo unless its a really spoiled young kid driving one, most likely the one I went to go look in Florida either way most younger people can not afford brand new evo's or even to mod one. you can get dsm's for less then 7k and thats on the high side, you get every kid running the piss out of them. back in 2001-2004 when the huge dsm craze was around I remember seeing alot of 1g's running around breaking every week. Most the guys wanted power and could not afford a shep tranny so they kept buying used cheap-o ones and they would just keep breaking

This is copy and pasted from the mitsubishi web site

"The RS and GSR. The RS version was produced as a competition car with a limited-slip front differential and a friction type LSD at the rear. It also came with GLX seats and 16" (41 cm) steel wheels as these were items that would be replaced by anyone entering the car into competition events. The RS also had wind up windows, no air conditioning, and a few extra brace bars to strengthen the chassis, one behind the front grill and the other across the boot floor. The RS also had a factory option of thinner body panels and thinner glass. The GSR and the RS shared a new twin scroll "

"The Evolution was changed again in 2003, this time sporting Super Active Yaw Control to handle traction and a 6-speed manual gearbox. It was available with 280 PS (276 hp/206 kW) in three trims: standard (GSR in Japan), RS USDM (devoid of all excess components, such as interior map lights, power windows/doors, A/C , and radio) and MR. RS Editions came with a revised limited-slip front differential. The new Evolution also sported Altezza taillights.

You're somewhat correct. Those are for non-USDM maket Evos. Every USDM Evos have AC and PS, that's including the RS! RS came to the US with white and red only, and also '04 and up.