5.0 Exhaust manifold gaskets; what will fit E7te's?

Science Abuse

Replacing header gaskets, what cars had these heads? Can I just put any 5.0 manifold gasket on these?

You'll want to get an actual header gasket, not a manifold gasket. It's the same head you'll find on 87-93 Mustang (and others I'm sure).

EDIT:That's assuming this is an application with a factory header (like the Mustang). If it has cast iron manifolds, you likely will need a manifold gaskets, just be mindful of the port size to make sure its not blocking the port exit.

Agreed on the Percy's. FelPro and Mr. Gasket Ultra-Seal work fairly well for cheap (just keep the bolts tight to avoid blowouts), but if it's in the budget, the Percy's will be the last ones you need to buy.

I've got a pair of Mac Shorties. Why wont the manifold gasket work? It matches the ports and the bolt pattern, right?

I thought that and tried some manifold gaskets in a pinch one time on my Fox...

I had Mac Long tubes and they leaked badly even when I sliightly overtorqued the bolts. I don't know if it's something about the material (metal mesh stuff with a composite facing material) or just the way they're made to be used in conjunction with the manifolds (larger surface area, so I thought it'd still seal???)... but they definately leaked. Bolt pattern is the same, yes.

Problem went away after I swapped on actual header gaskets.

I'd personally do the percy's so you won't have to worry down the road.

I'm worried about it now. :) Those look like good peoces, but the local shop has mani-gaskets in-stock, and I need this done now.

Won't leak any worse than the old ones, half a cylinder was missing. :mad:

I like using copper gaskets because they are reuseable. No gaskets at all and copper RTV is the normal ticket to fixing problem headers if the flange is nice and flat. Turbo cars = no gaskets. With yours Id just use copper gaskets or just copper RTV, with just RTV the bolts won't back out either.

lol, when I began this job, one of the bolts was half out, and one was missing. The drivers rear cylinder had blasted away all but the mesh of the gasket. :p

Right now I've got some OEM replacement gaskets and a couple new bolts (bought them out). This will get the car back together.

Question: how the hell did you get these in!? :p The primaries dont all line up with the head, and I can't work out a way to sufficiently pry them into submission.... so I just slotted the holes.

I may pass one of these gaskets onto one of our machine shops to make some flanges, and get crakin' on long-tubes.

lol, when i bgan this job, one of the bolts was half out, and one was missing. The drivers rear cylinder had blasted away all but the mesh of the gasket. :p

Question: how the hell did you get these in!? :p The primaries dont all line up with the head, and I can't work out a way to sufficiently pry them into submission.... so I just slotted the holes.

I may pass one of these gaskets onto one of our machine shops to make some flanges, and get crakin' on long-tubes.

pry, pry, pry. I'm sure the tubes have moved around alot over the years. That thing used to back bolts out constantly.

You can buy flanges online for $50 or so...