Telescope, camera, and me learning some photoshop

Tractor

Not a very good picture of galaxy M51, but I wasn't going for a long exposer. Only caught enough of the image to practice level/curves adjusting in PS.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/M51websized.jpg

Evan

Its shot using the cameras body and the telescope as the huge freaking lens. The only editing I did was basically increasing the brightness and decreasing the background noise.

The details are I used 6 3minute frames then shot 3 3minute frames with the lens cap on to make what we call a dark frame. Then you subtract the dark frames from the actual pictures and what happens is all the noise from the cameras photo sensor getting hot gets erased.

Evan

I live about 25miles north of polaris right across the line in morrow county so I have reasonable dark skys for Ohio.

The next time I take a crack at that galaxy I'll go for at least an hour worth of light data and probably end up with a very printable photo. The moons coming back around now so it messes everything up.

Evan