gt3 at advanced auto

88lx5oh

who takes their Porsche GT3 to advanced auto to get parts, oil, whatever??

i was there taking back a tool i rented, and low and behold a beautiful black GT3 in the parking lot.. spotted the owner inside with a stack of papers (looked like they were printed from his computer) and going through, and finding oil and what not.

seriously.. if you can afford that car.. by good oil, or go get it serviced somewhere.

for god sakes he was buying castrol

Do you think the brands of oil are of a lesser quality just because they're at a parts store? Mobil 1 is Mobil 1 anywhere you buy it, though I believe most Porsche's come with Mobil 1 and I would keep using that.

Hell if I had a Ferrari F40 I would still do the maintenance/improvements-

but-

I am just now realizing how inferior some of the parts are at advance auto/autozone... I am starting to return my biz to NAPA and factory whenever possible...

Props to that guy- he may actually know something about the car he drives.

On castrol I think its a generation thing- my dad swears by it and even quaker state even though I told him all the pennsylvania oil is gone with its special properties. He bought a case of it the other day and some random stranger told him it was the worst oil ever made on his way out the door haha

Our generation swears by mobil 1 and valvoline- likely the same old !@$!.

And if you change your oil less than 7K miles it doesn't matter anyhow what you use brand, standard or synthetic. Someone that will truly get the benefit from synthetic other than a race team likely is only changing his oil every 10-12K miles as he doesnt want to mess with it (and really doesn't have to) and he is likely to have more problems with his car than the 1% increase in hp is going to make up for due to the fact he doesnt like working on it... I change mine with valvoline dino oil every 2500-3000 because I dont want to lose my blower bearings but otherwise that's serious overkill.

I have some super cheap "lifetime warranty" spark plug wires from advance for my truck. It's got 230,000ish miles on it, so I just do whatever it needs to stay running. That said, I replace the wires every few months when they start to cause a misfire....

My dad bought them when it was his truck initially, and I've easily replaced them 5 or 6 times, no charge each time :). Quality, no. Value, yes!

Edit: Advance also consistently gives me the wrong parts when I go in there, namely brake pads for a different rear end, or a front o2 sensor instead of the rear, etc. etc.

997 or 996 GT3? If it's a 997 then I bet I know the guy...and I sure hope he's getting oil for his Ford truck and not the '3. Middle aged guy, thin with brown hair and mustache?

I know Audi oil caps promote castrol oil, does porsche promote any specific type?

I know Audi oil caps promote castrol oil, does porsche promote any specific type?

Yes...factory fill for most modern Porsche's is 0W 40 Mobile1.

HPFiend: Not to turn this into an oil war debate as it seems to be something that everyone has a VERY strong opinion on...but I do think the quality synthetic oil is totally worth it for the small price you pay to know you're getting the ultimate in protection for the car, not for the extended change intervals or minimal power advantage. I think it's safe to say all of us here drive our cars more agressively than most and in doing so test our oil more as well. Weather it's 1/4 mile racing, roll racing, tracking at a road course etc we all put much more demand on the oil so why not make sure you've got the best? I run Castrol Motorsport oil in the M3 and Redline in the 996. I can't remember the last time I've gone >2500 miles between changes on those cars.

For the daily driver I use Mobile 1, drive the car like an old man and still change it at 5K mile intervals despite oil analysis advising that I could extend my change intervals. Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.

Andy

Edit: Advance also consistently gives me the wrong parts when I go in there, namely brake pads for a different rear end, or a front o2 sensor instead of the rear, etc. etc.

You need to find a different parts guy then. It's not the store you go to, it's the person behind the counter. Some people have a hard time wrapping their brain around that. Ask your buddies for a recommendation to a parts person that knows a little more than the average joe. Sometimes, in my opinion, that is the best way to get consistent results. I know good parts guys at Advances, Autozones, NAPAs, etc,. I also know dumbasses at each too. I know an Advance in Pickerington that may have a certain knowledgeable team member that most on here know...

To the original poster: One of our regular customers at the Advance I work for drives a new Murcielago. He frequently drives it to our store. You would be surprised how much stuff can actually be acquired through a parts store if you find a parts person who knows where to find it. No Lambo parts yet, but I am sometimes able to find stuff for his Mercedes and his Buick :D The guy just happens to own a lot of stock in the company.

valvoline ftw. porsche ftw, your haterade ftl

Valvoline FTL. The first motor I ever put together had valvoline in it when we took it apart and it was FULL of build up.

You cant go wrong with Quaker State, Mobile 1 (in all Corvettes and Porches), or GTX. I have no complaints about any of them.

I do add some Lucas to every oil change though... just for good measure ;)

Greddy oil FTW!!!

Okay so i pay a crazy price for oil...but it's the best oil i've put in my car, increase in gas milege even!!!

My dad was running Joe Gibbs racing oil in his Ford f150....it was almost $300 a case!!!

Honestley tho, i dont see the point in high priced oil....Valvoline,mobil 1,castrol all work great!

Greddy oil FTW!!!

Okay so i pay a crazy price for oil...but it's the best oil i've put in my car, increase in gas milege even!!!

My dad was running Joe Gibbs racing oil in his Ford f150....it was almost $300 a case!!!

Honestley tho, i dont see the point in high priced oil....Valvoline,mobil 1,castrol all work great!

As for the gt3 at autozone, Just because you have a nice car dosent mean you are loaded with money.....i've seen people with Hummers that live in mobile homes....it's all about how you spend the money!!!

Yes...factory fill for most modern Porsche's is 0W 40 Mobile1.

HPFiend: Not to turn this into an oil war debate as it seems to be something that everyone has a VERY strong opinion on...but I do think the quality synthetic oil is totally worth it for the small price you pay to know you're getting the ultimate in protection for the car, not for the extended change intervals or minimal power advantage. I think it's safe to say all of us here drive our cars more agressively than most and in doing so test our oil more as well. Weather it's 1/4 mile racing, roll racing, tracking at a road course etc we all put much more demand on the oil so why not make sure you've got the best? I run Castrol Motorsport oil in the M3 and Redline in the 996. I can't remember the last time I've gone >2500 miles between changes on those cars.

For the daily driver I use Mobile 1, drive the car like an old man and still change it at 5K mile intervals despite oil analysis advising that I could extend my change intervals. Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.

Andy

i agree my daily gets mobile one synthetic and changed every 3000

wifes is the same

i drive to many miles and too often to not change every 3k

and i jsut thought it was funny seeing a 150k + car in advance auto looking for parts/oil/whatever

997 or 996 GT3? If it's a 997 then I bet I know the guy...and I sure hope he's getting oil for his Ford truck and not the '3. Middle aged guy, thin with brown hair and mustache?

middle aged guy, glasses, no mustache i think..

this was in hilliard as well.. of cemetary

There is a 800+RWHP viper that frequents the advance in powell, along with a nice FD,F430 and some misc beemers and benz's. All the people who own the cars are super nice.And +1 for the parts guy not the parts store