IT/Coder/Networking/Server types

Akula

Well, from what I have witnessed working in networking, they care a lot more about experience. Sure having CCIE/CCNA/CCNP is nice and everything, but in the end it seems to just be a slip of paper saying that you paid the money for the test. It wouldn't hurt to have the slips of paper (well, except your wallet anyway), but it doesn't seem like it's needed.

Guest mrhobbz
Well, from what I have witnessed working in networking, they care a lot more about experience. Sure having CCIE/CCNA/CCNP is nice and everything, but in the end it seems to just be a slip of paper saying that you paid the money for the test. It wouldn't hurt to have the slips of paper (well, except your wallet anyway), but it doesn't seem like it's needed.

Go apply for a network admin. position that requires exp. with cisco equipment. I know the IOS like the back of my hand and not having my CCNA didn't get me jack.

Go apply for a network admin. position that requires exp. with cisco equipment. I know the IOS like the back of my hand and not having my CCNA didn't get me jack.

So are you saying you suffered or you were successful? I'm kind of confused by your post.

So, as a person that has done this for a while....

Basic certs are usually required CCNA is a good example. But then it usually goes without saying that you have x years experience. I don't have any advanced certs (anymore) and I will say that I do alright.

As far as where the money is. Yes, Security is way up there. Network security folks need more knowledge to harden a network but usually they are hard to find because traditionally Network and Security are on opposite sides of the argument. Networks make data move, security stops it...

Guest mrhobbz
So are you saying you suffered or you were successful? I'm kind of confused by your post.

The slip of paper is what caused the epic fail for that specific position. Which was later filled by a guy that has no idea what he is doing (friend works directly with him) As of now I am pretty well set..

You would ideally have both, IMO, experience weighs more heavility if you are having a technical interview. Certs however, will help them justify your pay/salary request if they are feeling like negotiating. Experience or not, they will pay the guy with the paper more than the guy with just experience. Get both and enjoy. They are not hard to acquire and are very cheap compared to the potential reward.

Guest mrhobbz
You would ideally have both, IMO, experience weighs more heavility if you are having a technical interview. Certs however, will help them justify your pay/salary request if they are feeling like negotiating. Experience or not, they will pay the guy with the paper more than the guy with just experience. Get both and enjoy. They are not hard to acquire and are very cheap compared to the potential reward.

Well said.

Like Jones said, Ideally - BOTH, however you'll find more with experience.

What pays the most however - experience. CIO/Director Level/IT Managers - chances are they won't have many certifications, but 20 years+ of success in the IT/IS business.

Certifications are a measure of knowledge, but only one form. (I had my heart broken after rejoicing I passed the written section of the CCIE. At that moment, I found myself getting largely into finance/accounting, etc.)

Of course Mr. Hobbz, if your age is correct in your profile and you walked in to interview with me...I wouldn't expect you to know IOS like the back of your hand. My business is probably running IOS that was written before you were able to legally sign a contract. In your case, you cannot tell me you have 10 years experience so I expect a cert.

I used to interview at UUNET quite a bit and I would give you two 2500's DCE-DTE cable and tell you I forgot the passwords, make the two laptops ping eachother. If you didn't ask me for AUIs and wonder what the big serial port on the back was, I would figure you are lying about your experience. If you were done in 10 minutes, I knew the cert didn't matter.

In the world I work in now, I get the cursory questions regarding various high level topics but mostly they want to hear about my experience. Lessons learned are much more high paying than fancy book learnin, IMHO.

Out of curiosity, who here believes 6 figures is possible on either certs or experience alone?

Of course Mr. Hobbz, if your age is correct in your profile and you walked in to interview with me...I wouldn't expect you to know IOS like the back of your hand. My business is probably running IOS that was written before you were able to legally sign a contract. In your case, you cannot tell me you have 10 years experience so I expect a cert.

I used to interview at UUNET quite a bit and I would give you two 2500's DCE-DTE cable and tell you I forgot the passwords, make the two laptops ping eachother. If you didn't ask me for AUIs and wonder what the big serial port on the back was, I would figure you are lying about your experience. If you were done in 10 minutes, I knew the cert didn't matter.

In the world I work in now, I get the cursory questions regarding various high level topics but mostly they want to hear about my experience. Lessons learned are much more high paying than fancy book learnin, IMHO.

Out of curiosity, who here believes 6 figures is possible on either certs or experience alone?

I don't think you'll find many firms that will employ in those salary ranges without experience and something to show for it. You might find a college grad with an MBA, certs, degree, a few internships able to negotiate in the 60-80k ranges, but from what I've seen, it takes a combination of both, usually with college education, to be competitive and stable at that salary range.

The CCIE is a very respected certification, mainly because of the lab. You may get by the paper exam, but the lab is the weed out, nothing to memorize and spit back up, just the keys to a large amount of very expensive and complicated equipment.

Guest mrhobbz

Thats fine, but I know what I know. Thorne can also vouche for that :) 20 minutes in a room with a console cable and a piece of cisco equipment I'd have your head spinning.

Thats fine, but I know what I know. Thorne can also vouche for that :) 20 minutes in a room with a console cable and a piece of cisco equipment I'd have your head spinning.

Given the amount of experience I have, and the thousands of enterprise global networks I have interfaced with (In this country and abroad), I doubt my head will spin.

Since you are so solid with Cisco, the CCNA should be a snap. Go take it.

(spoken like a true CCSI eh?)

Oh, BTW, I am a networker with 10 years watching data move around (Token Ring and Ethernet, IP and IPX) I have had CCNP (expired) CCNI (expired) and CCSI (expired) I currently hold C|EH, CCNA, ACMX #8 plus A+ and N+ (BS required for one of my teaching gigs). I currently work for a Silicon Valley manufacturer that competes with Cisco, Riverbed and the like. I have heavy teaching experience in networking and wireless LANs.

Doubtful, his knowledge far outweights his years, and he is getting old!

:p