Sony cutting price of PS3 by $100!

Tshensley

LOS ANGELES - In a bid to regain lost ground in the fiercely competitive gaming business, Sony announced Tuesday that it will cut the price of its high-end PlayStation 3 console by $100. It also will introduce downloads of movies and TV shows to the game machine's online store and, with some software partners, roll out a number of exclusive games.

Sony announced that this fall it will cut the price of the 80-gigabyte version of the PlayStation 3 from $500 to $400. At the same time, the company plans to discontinue the 40-gigabyte version of the console, which previously sold for $400. Sony hopes the lower price will attract the "millions of PlayStation 2 users who are on the cusp of upgrading," Tretton said.

Since its launch, the PlayStation 3 has been the most expensive console on the market, which may help explain its slow sales. The price cut is similar to one announced by Microsoft on Sunday. Microsoft is cutting the price of its 20-gigabyte Xbox 360 by $50 to $299 to clear inventory and is introducing a 60-gigabyte model at $349, the former price of the 20-gigabyte version.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_9895957

This is awesome news, and I'm glad ive waited. Now as soon as the prices are adjusted, time to go get one

yea i am glad to see the 80 gig back and the 40 gig going bye bye. as long as the 80 still has the emulator chip in it. i like the fact that you can upgrade the hard drive yourself, and it plays blu ray. even more now that hd dvd is finally gone. (this generations beta tape) makes me wonder how long before x box catches up and offers blu ray players. the ps3 could really be a good addition to a home theater setup as a all around media player. although i would like to see it play things like svcd. also be able to network with a computer and download and play media such as avi mp3 ogm ogg mpeg so on and so forth. if sony plays their cards right they could develop a store much like "i tunes" and compete with microsoft in that area. just as long as the software is usable on pc's doesn't use all the extra unnecessary user resources like i tunes.

yea i am glad to see the 80 gig back and the 40 gig going bye bye. as long as the 80 still has the emulator chip in it.

It will not have any emulation (hardware or software), and they don't plan on bringing it back.

The first 80gb NTSC version of the PS3 still supports PS2 emulation and is still being sold. It has 4 usb ports instead of the 2 ports on the upcoming, non-compatible 80gb NTSC version.

*This information subject to change, its not like i'm the president of sony or something.

The first 80gb NTSC version of the PS3 still supports PS2 emulation and is still being sold. It has 4 usb ports instead of the 2 ports on the upcoming, non-compatible 80gb NTSC version.

*This information subject to change, its not like i'm the president of sony or something.

The first 80gb had software emulation where the 60gb had hardware emulation. The software wasnt as good as the hardware.

If it only has 2 usb ports that means rock band no workie

It's finally clear (to me at least). The 'Core' PS3 which now has a 40gb HDD will soon be upgraded to a 80GB HDD. The current 80GB version will continue to be the upgraded version (namely more usb ports and backwards compatibility,) and it will be $100 more. There is no real price drop, there is a (minor) feature upgrade to the current 'core' model.