ATTN Networking Nerds

Lustalbert

Don't waste your money on a Cobalt. If you have a machine laying around, you can just use that. I had a PIII 733 with 256mb of ram and 5 NIC cards in it (you don't need crossover cables, either), to make an IPCop based switching router. Even that was overkill, as far as specifications go.

Eventually though, I just ended up switching back to a WRT54G.

I am trying to have as many flashing lights as humanly possible.

I just need something that runs, I curently have a Blitz 11b and a Belkin 54g running.

The blitz needs reset about every 4 days, more frequently if I try to dowload some large files (movies, ect)

The Belkin was running as the sole router previously, but needed reset about daily. I use it as a 11g AP only foy my laptop.

Not effiecent, and is about 5 years old. Time to start from scratch and build a good system.

What Linksys modem (model #) and how hard is it to run in place of my surfboard?

Remember, I am an army engineer, not a network engineer. My usual solutions involve the use of high explosives and several cubic yards of earth and concrete.

I am not even sure if TW will let you run it. It won't do full turbo speeds (15mbit) It tops out at about 13.5 But I can get 2mbit up with it. Now understand I'm on diffrent settings then the AVG user.

The WRT54g is the firewall I use off the second cable modem and it works great. I will get my model of my modem when I get home and you can call TW and see if they will let you Provision it. If they give you slack I might be able to work something out.

13.5 is better than I am running right now. Last month I was running 6m, yesterday I found my speed somewhat reduced to 1.5. Not sure what that is about, not happy about it, but I will deal with it when I know everything on my side of the modem is in proper working order, and it is something on thier end.