Time Warner vs ???

KillJoy

The only downside is that you may experience difficulty with, say, 'peer' style software tools that you may use for your internetsing and what not. I noticed absolutely no restrictions with Time Warner, but ATT does things 'differently' shall we say. For what it's worth.

mrr?? I never had a problem. 'course I'm pulling anime, not pr0n :p

Can't wait till verizon FiOS service comes to columbus.. Timewarner will be feeling very butthurt then.

Kinda hard when the Incumnbent Phone Carrier (ILEC) in Columbus is ATT.

The only place close to Central Ohio that could see FiOS is Delaware, since Verizon is the ILEC there.

The only downside is that you may experience difficulty with, say, 'peer' style software tools that you may use for your internetsing and what not. I noticed absolutely no restrictions with Time Warner, but ATT does things 'differently' shall we say. For what it's worth.

How so? I'm on the verge of getting U-Verse. I have Insight currently and when it's working perfectly, it's awesome. But that's very rare. HD channels pixelate like crazy, sound cuts out and for the past three weeks my internet has gone out from about 8am-3pm every single day. They were supposed to come out this past Friday but an outage was reported in the area by several other customers so they went ahead and canceled the appointment (even though the problem had been occurring for about a week before I called) without ever telling me so I sat around for 2 hours waiting for them to show up for no reason and still have the problem. They come out once a month to fix stuff at this point. It's ridiculous. They'll be at my house tomorrow.

U-Verse restricting P2P stuff sounds scary though as I currently have RR Turbo (15mbps downstream) specifically for downloading pretty big files from P2P networks...

How so? I'm on the verge of getting U-Verse. I have Insight currently and when it's working perfectly, it's awesome. But that's very rare. HD channels pixelate like crazy, sound cuts out and for the past three weeks my internet has gone out from about 8am-3pm every single day. They were supposed to come out this past Friday but an outage was reported in the area by several other customers so they went ahead and canceled the appointment (even though the problem had been occurring for about a week before I called) without ever telling me so I sat around for 2 hours waiting for them to show up for no reason and still have the problem. They come out once a month to fix stuff at this point. It's ridiculous. They'll be at my house tomorrow.

U-Verse restricting P2P stuff sounds scary though as I currently have RR Turbo (15mbps downstream) specifically for downloading pretty big files from P2P networks...

To you (and chris, you anime freak): ATT announced that they are planning on banning P2P outright (via contractual obligation and penalties) on their 3g network. I don't have any proof that they interfere with P2P on Uverse but it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldnt surprise me if they soon wrote P2P restrictions into their Uverse contract. Not that I would know, but pr0n/anime/tv eps that people bittorrent are easy to get on Uverse. The things I ran into(or didn't run into, as the case may be) were in other realms of the p2p jungle. There is *definitely* something fishy going on with Uverse compared to TW, I won't go into details; but I had TW one day, and Uverse the next day and the jungle (so to speak) changed dramatically.

You know, for what it's worth.

On the TV side, the HD dvr box is *amazing* compared to time warner or any other cable provider i've seen. Then only thing that irks me is that they didnt just build the PVR into the main box (the big one they stick in your basement) since the cable boxes run off of IP via that box anyway, they could have consolidated tuners and disks in there and made the set top boxes tiny and silent (mine whines once and a while, when the hard disk is at just the right temperature.) HD content is decent, a little better than TW since they carry more channels and it seems to be less pixelated than most other sources i've seen. That's not to say it's not without it's artifacts on some stations/shows, but there's no way to tell if it's ATT or the source show that encoded it poorly.

AT&T banning P2P on their 3G network makes sense to me. It's still meant to be a telephone network, and while I'm sure there are some road warriors who use their laptops out there, most folks want to check the scores, stocks, and send text messages. P2P would seriously hose that up. In terms of how the set-top boxes get their signal, it can be either coax or ethernet. My setup was 100% coax, since there was a clean wire right into the apartment (we had the good fortune of the TW guy coming to cut the cable at the same time AT&T guy was putting the balun outside. TW guy was like "You want the wire? Here ya go!"). I can't remember ever hearing my SD-PVR having a fan, and the non-PVR box didn't even have one, I think.

On the TV side, the HD dvr box is *amazing* compared to time warner or any other cable provider i've seen.

By amazing, you mean once you can't watch and HD program and record another at the same time (or watch two HD programs in the house at the same time). Pretty amazing, especially since it is very common for my DVR to be recording two HD programs at the same time.

My setup was 100% coax, since there was a clean wire right into the apartment (we had the good fortune of the TW guy coming to cut the cable at the same time AT&T guy was putting the balun outside. TW guy was like "You want the wire? Here ya go!").

Wait until a non-idiot from TW is working in their lockbox and sees a swung line...you will be without your TV with the quickness. They aren't supposed to share those lines. Probably some newbie disco tech just giving the AT&T guy the line and not knowing any better.

By amazing, you mean once you can't watch and HD program and record another at the same time (or watch two HD programs in the house at the same time). Pretty amazing, especially since it is very common for my DVR to be recording two HD programs at the same time.

Your sentence structure is amazing. (j/k?) With Uverse the main box has 2 HD/SD 'tuners' and 2 SD 'tuners' with which you can get programs off the wire, and each set top box has direct access to those streams. I have no problem recording/watching two HD programs at once, along with other SD watching going on in the house. I only have one HD PVR though, so 'only' two HD streams at a time isn't a problem.

Wait until a non-idiot from TW is working in their lockbox and sees a swung line...you will be without your TV with the quickness. They aren't supposed to share those lines. Probably some newbie disco tech just giving the AT&T guy the line and not knowing any better.

And watch the apartment complex lay into TW for cutting wires that aren't theirs. The cable company only owns the wires up to the lock box. From the lock box into the residence/apartment are the property of the homeowner/landlord. The same demarcation exists for telephone (at the gray NID box) and electricity (the meter).

Isn't it illegal for a apartment complex or condo community to have a sole provider for cable or internet?

Nope, not at all.

It is illegal to prevent you from having a dish though.

Your sentence structure is amazing. (j/k?) With Uverse the main box has 2 HD/SD 'tuners' and 2 SD 'tuners' with which you can get programs off the wire, and each set top box has direct access to those streams. I have no problem recording/watching two HD programs at once, along with other SD watching going on in the house. I only have one HD PVR though, so 'only' two HD streams at a time isn't a problem.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/18/the-problem-with-atandts-u-verse/

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/ATT-Confirms-Dual-HD-Stream-UVerse-Upgrade-94620

If what you are saying is true, then it is a RECENT relase, as I've had a number of former Uverse customers complain about a single HD stream. That said, for anyone with a large family, Uverse sucks big time.

And watch the apartment complex lay into TW for cutting wires that aren't theirs. The cable company only owns the wires up to the lock box. From the lock box into the residence/apartment are the property of the homeowner/landlord. The same demarcation exists for telephone (at the gray NID box) and electricity (the meter).

Not when a deal is made to run said wires for a discounted/free rate. And in most MDU's, that is the case. No company is wiring a MDU up just so another company can use its wires, unless it is being paid fully for it to do so. Why do you think there almost always (by almost, I really mean 99% of the time) seperate lockboxes with seperate feeds. Sure you can disco phone in the phone NID if one is on the unit, but if it is a phone ped/lockbox outside, you can only disco it in the home legally.