Newb to Turbo's - Insight Appreciated

TTQ B4U

I believe the stock MS3 runs at 16psi and does like many, run very rich. Tip turned black with the first 20 miles.

I know she's capable of quite a bit more. Shifter and Intake go on Tuesday and am looking into Turbo Back and FMIC right now. My understanding the gains with just those are amazing. Now I just need to invest in tires made of velcro so I can ge said power to the ground :)

Again you are soo wrong, you can add a boost controller to just about any factory turbo car and be ok within reason. For instance, putting a boost controller on an Evo or SRT or WRX that comes with about 12-14psi, can easily be turned up to about 18psi without a tune. Considering factory tunes are soo rich anyways, you would be doing yourself a favor turning it up.

God I would never let you touch/tune my car!

Why would you do it with out having proper feedback? I don't like knock and I do everything I can to avoid it.

So We both agree MBC's can add power. I'm with you and I've seen plenty of SRT's. He could just get a cobb and be safe.

I'm trying to find out how the MS3 reacts to a mbc but I'm not finding much info. But the dyno charts I looked at for stock ones showed a couple of nasty dips. That tells me that the ecu is already compensating. If the car is already compensating for more boost and it gets cold and you have even more boost your running out of range for sure.

So I'm going to drop the topic because I think were on the same page for the most part. Personally I would get a cobb because its going to provide you the most options for the future. Also the MS3's maps could be scaled further then the WRX. Since I'ver never seen them I don't know.

My largest concern when I tune any car is that it's safe. I rather make 5-10 less whp and know the car has room for error then to push it to the brink.

We cool then, I'm just anti mbc for the most part because There a bitch for daily driving imho. The car just wants to go.

Exhaust/Intake/Cobb is going to provide a very fun ride.

WOW cobb stage1cai

Stage1+MSCAI for Stock Vehicles with Mazdaspeed CAI Intake System. 91 octane fuel. +6.6% HP / +10.3% lb. ft.

most dsm'ers first mod will be a boost controler and fuel pump and boostguage and 17-18psi depending what type of mods ect, My old 2g ran a 20g on stock 450cc pump and fmic, data logger and ran perfect at 17psi anything higher was fuel cutting, with out a tune. this was also back 8 years ago, but I agree you do not need to tune simple as upping the boost if you have good fuel, decent size injectors and data logger. This is a known fact in the dsm word.

when running a turbo car , I always install a nice oil cooler set up, nothing is better for a turbo car then oil temps that are 30-40 deg cooler, its going to make the engine last for many many more miles even when driven hard. I always have a nice egt guage also to see my exhaust temps, and have my turbo timer routed in so it turns off at a certain temp, having hot oil set left in the lines and turbo is not a good thing.

I know its a new car and you prolly do not want to install one with the warrenty and stuff but I can help you put together a nice earls set up.

jegs sells the lines, and AN connections, earls sells the oil block plate, we can even relocate your oilfilter to a spot in the engine bay to make oil changes a breeze, earls block plates are nice and are operated with a thermostat so it opens at a certain degree.

Most new turbo cars oil is water cooled which is lame and is what destroys the oil over time, blocking the water lines and installing the block plate and running a nice external oilcooler will do numbers in keeping the oil temps down. and making the life of your engine that much longer.

The MS3's ECU will start to close the throttle to control torque. Similar to how difficult the GM 2.0L DI Turbo ECU is to work with, but has more aftermarket support at the moment. CP-E has a reflash that removes the throttle body control and they sell a piggyback that seems to work. A guy I went to school with works at Cobb and supposedly the MS3 ECU is the hardest thing they have ever tried to crack. It will take some time, but when they release a product you know it's been fully tested and validated.

On the Solstice/Sky turbos the ECU will control to a torque and will do everything it can to pull back gains from mods. An intake or exhaust may net gains for the first couple dyno pulls, but the ECU will compensate over time and the car won't make any more power than stock. Without a reflash there's not much to be had from mods. I'm not sure if the MS3 ECU goes to this extreme, but I know it will close the throttle to reduce power.

To compliment what Phil's said, OEM's are stepping up their game to keep their costs (warranty) down. BMW, Audi, VW, etc all have 'tripwires' built in to the engine control systen(s) to help prevent the use of external devices. BMW has taken it the the extreme by using RSA (military grade) encyption to prevent reverse engneering.

The false sense of security thinking that factory calibrations are just 'rich' without reason won't be there much longer. Every calibration is becoming both energy conscious and environmental friendly.

In short, leave it alone.