Car Stereo Guys Chime In - Static on Amp.

TTQ B4U

So I had my Kicker amp and sub installed last week. All works great.

However, when I go to charge my iPod through the accessory port inside the armrest while playing it through my stereo, I get a bit of static that then increase with rpms. Only occurs when it's charging.

Is this due to some type of noise filter now being needed on my amp where they connected it to the battery?

Insight appreciated.

The guy at Circuit City didn't believe it's a ground issue with the amp as it only does it when the iPod is charging. If it was an amp ground issue it would do it all the time. I buy that.

He said it's likely because the iPod's power pins are so close to the audio pins in the iPod itself and that it's common?? I'll have to try it on my wife's van as I don't buy that.

I'm just wondering if there's an inline filter that is needed or if there's a better fix to help ground the power plug in the armrest better?

I'm going to wait until I add one more the xMod interface I mentioned in another thread and if I get interference from the power that will be going through it, I will then add this item:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=181150&i=127SNI135&tp=2653&tab=review&rvm=ShowAllt

I don't need to charge my iPod in the car, but I just noticed the noise and thought there was a problem.

bad groundings. It could also be from RCA cables being to close to a power source.

I have a static issue with my ipod hook up in my Fusion I have the aftermarket Brandmotion adapter for my stereo. Mine has to due with the screen being on while it charges. I would imagine its the same thing on yours. Sadly I am not sure how to fix it. You can hardly hear mine at all though so it doesnt bother me.

As for better grounding to the armrest plug I am sure you can do that but not really sure if it will make a difference. I have been in other cars with similar adapters that do the same thing. I think it might actually be the ipod itself as weird as that sounds.

Will do. I talked with Jason there. He did the install.

Worst case, it seems this PAC item will work as they have 42 five star reviews. I don't know yet if it will be needed with the xMod, but I'm assuming it will be similar in outcome. Will find out Wednesday.

I'll call Eric. Thanks for the insight/name.

what circuit city? Go talk with Eric at the sawmil location

From what I've read, it's not just an iPod thing, but is related to the portable music players.

Mine has to due with the screen being on while it charges. I would imagine its the same thing on yours. I think it might actually be the ipod itself as weird as that sounds.