94 gmc 1500

99ta

4wd 5.7 auto 186k miles

was driving today it started making a god awful clucking and screaching noise. first thought was the drive shaft fell off. pulled over, fine. continued drving did it a couple more times. I think its the tranny at this point. then I notice my temp gauge is flirting with over heating, pull over. steam coming out of the rad. let cool down and drive to nearet parking lot where the truck will not even sit in park, rolls fwd.

now, it seems its in the tranny, but why would the truck over heat? never had any problems with it before. just bad timing? the rad was low. but seems odd.

I plan I getting a used trans from salvg yard. any tips on changing it? thanks!

eric

Guest 614Streets

I did my 95 last year. I bet you the sun gear shell cracked , happens. If you did go rebuilt definately throw a "beast" sun gear shell in it as well as a shift kit and vette servo. Anyways call Marshalls down in circleville Im sure they have a couple. Its a straight forward swap , just make sure you get the transfer case gasket in the right oreintation, the tq converter fully engaged into the pump before bolting to flexplate and have fun with the exhaust y pipe to header bolts, an oxy acetylene torch is your best buddy here , and you will probably need new springs/bolts, and nuts for the y pipe to headers.

I dropped my Y pipe when I did mine but you can drop it without.

Guest 614Streets
Marshalls with 111 k , http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=All+States&userIMS=&userInterchange=ACFC&userSide=&userDate=1994&userDate2=1994&dbModel=28.3.4.4&userModel=GMC%20Truck-1500%20Series%20(1999%20Down)&dbPart=400.1&userPart=Transmission&sessionID=373607814&sURL=car-part.com&userPreference=zip&userZip=43207&userLat=39.8938&userLong=-82.9624&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=