help figuring out cooling system

wnaplay1647545503

The vehicle is a 95 e150 conversion van. I have an auxilary a/c system in the back. There are 4 pipes that run from the engine compartment to this auxilary system. One of which I know carries antifreeze. My question is would one of the lines be the return for antifreeze and the other 2 be freon? The pipes have started rusting under the van and my hope is not so much keeping the system going(system hasnt been used in years), but just cut the pipes with antifreeze in them, back where there is good metal and loop a new pipe to keep the antifreeze flowing. Thus bypassing that rear system all together. I dont care about the a/c so if the other 2 lines are freon and they rust who cares. Thanks

Well I now know at least one of the other pipes carries antifreeze. Now I need to figure out what the other 2 carry. Is it possible that this little system would have 2 antifreeze supply lines or as it does to me, does it make sense that the other 2 are simply freon? On the other hand I think that sense it is its only seperate system, that it might have its own freon locked into it. Any help would be appreciated. I need to wrap this thing up. Thanks

Yes, I believe it is an air/heat system. What would the need be for the 4 lines? I have 2 that come across the engine and come down the drivers side of the engine and go towards the back. The other 2 come from somewhere else lower and meet up with the other 2 and then all 4 go towards the back. The top 2 are the ones that have rusted and broken off. I was hoping that these were the supply and return lines so I made a "u" shaped pipe and connected these 2 back to one another. I was waiting for someone with some experience to chime in before I started it up to test if it worked. It sounds like now that the other 2 might be antifreeze lines as well. I just dont know if both uppers would be supply only and lowers be return or if one upper is supply and other is return and the same with the lowers. Unfortunately the manuals dont show anything about these and how they work. I will try to get ahold of manuf. tomorrow.

The coolant(water) lines should be standard heater hose diameter. The refrigerant(R12 / 134a) should look completely different.

EDIT - And I JUST realized you said the pipe had rusted (meaning it was not a rubber run all the way back). Sorry.

The 2 hoses that come up the back of the engine, go over and across are the same size. The other 2 that stay lower and then come up more towards the front of the engine then go over are different diameters one is significantly larger than the other. The smaller of these 2 clearly has a/c stamped on its side.

The 2 upper hoses clearly have hose clamps connected to the hoses at the steel pipes these seem to go down into the block and there are some hoses of different diameters hooked to these with more hose clamps. Although they do in several spots seem to have some sort of pressure fitting attached as well. The other 2(one being smaller diameter) all seem to have pressure fittings throughout even though some of the line is rubber, it to has fixed pressure fittings. The smaller one seems to go into an evaporator(small radiator looking thing inside black plastic box(maybe heater core?) then a line comes out and goes into a round cylinder type canister. It is at this canister that the larger of these 2 lines goes into as well.

holy shit you guys just made my brain bleed a little bit

4 lines heater feed, heater return, hi pressure ac, low pressure ac

if you want to disable the rear find the main lines that go to the front heat and remove them then go get new heater hoses for a non rear air/heat van

or call me this weekend and I will just help you fix it

Will the repair I did work? Although I had to squeeze down the pipe diameter to make the "u" shape out of steel pipes needed to return the pipes to one another. I dont care about the a/c lines if that is in fact what the other 2 are. I just used 2 90 degree street ell's and 2 3" nipples and spliced this right into the line using the same hose clamps already on the steel lines and added worm clamps to the new "u" shaped fitting.