8.8 gear question

88lx5oh

i pulled the cover off to check what gear is in the car, and it seems to be a 4.10

now my issue is thus..

turn the tire, and its kind of rough to turn, hits a spot and its free and smooth for a second then back to rough.. most of the time is kind of tough to turn.

now i dont know, but im assuming its shimmed incorrectly on the axel bearings???

anybody have some input

and on a side note, i just cant understand that there is 4.10s in the car, i have driven a few fox body cars with 4.10s and this car just doesnt feel the same. gearhead can attest to it, he drove it sunday. and though it had stock gear in it.

Brake drag likely. Without feeling it it is hard to say but it should be tough to turn with the driveshaft hooked up, the axles in and the brakes wheels and tires on- thats a lot of inertia to fight.

Remove wheels and drums and then try again.

Does it make a rhythmic whirring/whoosing sound when you are driving? Is there any change in sound/clunking when you load and unload it?

Also in case you didn't know its easier to count turns of the driveshaft compared to the wheel rather than drop the cover and count teeth.

Have you checked your ignition timing for the soggy feeling?

if you suspect a bad R&P setup, pull the shafts. and take a pattern in a couple places around the ring gear.(make sure you load it with a lever of some sort) Take pictures and post them. check backlash as well. Without a dial you can't be accurate, but you can feel when it's way tight or way loose.

Brake drag likely. Without feeling it it is hard to say but it should be tough to turn with the driveshaft hooked up, the axles in and the brakes wheels and tires on- thats a lot of inertia to fight.

Remove wheels and drums and then try again.

Does it make a rhythmic whirring/whoosing sound when you are driving? Is there any change in sound/clunking when you load and unload it?

Also in case you didn't know its easier to count turns of the driveshaft compared to the wheel rather than drop the cover and count teeth.

Have you checked your ignition timing for the soggy feeling?

Good point, I just assumed the brakes had been checked.

o it has a whine/ whirring noise from the rear when driving .. like the pinion bearing needs replaced, but the only reason i think its not the pinion bearing is because its noticeable all the time and not just when there isnt a load on the rear.

usually if you stay in the gas some the noise will go awway if the pinion bearing is bad.

i know i could count the wheel /driveshaft deal, but i was gonna change the fluid and re seal it anyway, since it was leaking a tad.

and i am going to check the run out on the gear, i just didnt have any paint handy.

after i do that, ill post pics and more info..... thanks guys

Most after market gears are stamped 373 410 etc on the head of the pinion gear..

Also what is your RPM on the freeway at 65 mph, im pushing 2200 and I have 373s with a stock T-5

its a 4.10... its stamped on there, and you can just tell.. 2500 or so when at 65...

Guest Removed

lockers are not noisey in a striaght line!!!!!!

ryan pull the cover! look at the wear pattern that is there. plus i told you how to check for backlash(quessing anyway) could be brake drag. pull the wheels and take the drum off then try it again. if you still feel it unbolt the driveshaft and see if it goes away! we both know the trans is fubared!

btw what is the rpm in 5th at about 65? (i know i know the speedo dont work) and measure how tall those back tire are. if anything, pull the cover and ill make time to stop bye!

pics

you can see some wear pattern

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/S4300014-6.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/S4300015-6.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/S4300016-4.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/S4300020-5.jpg

No offense but its really tough to tell anything from those pictures as they are out of focus and the flash is overpowering.

It almost looks like there are two patterns on the coast side of the gear one low and towards the middle and one centered and towards the outside edge but I can't make out the drive side of the gear at all (straight side).

Maybe you can put some dye on there so we can clearly see both sides of the gear and put a light down there so you dont need a flash?

Or we could do it this way rather than staging a better photo.

Does the coast (angled side) of the gear have a uniform pattern that is low and small or centered and big and where inside edge outside edge or center.

And then do the same on the drive side.

If there are indeed two patterns either the gears have been setup twice or you have something allowing movement which would make a lot of horrid sounds. Do you have loud exhaust?