Pushing the limits of the 03 Cobra

DTM Brian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine that, GM's having to shit on something none GM related to state their superiority.

Look back in this thread and see who brought up a Z06 originally -- it sure wasn't me (Or even a vette owner for that matter). I don't own either one so I am as impartial as it gets :)

Jeff

bow down to the awesome power potential of the terminator with the stock longblock. my plans to go compound boost (twin turbos compounded with my twinscrew blower) are still in order---and i might begin to start collecting parts next spring/summer. i haven't decided whether or not i want to build a 'nuc-proof' bottom end first, or just get the system running first with moderate boost and the stock bottom end. that and a bit of weight loss with the solid rear, and i'll be set.

who would ever think a FACTORY STOCK longblock could pound out 800rwhp over and over again and live. there are hundreds of these cars driven daily with 600+rwhp and well over 50k miles

And the power they make is pretty cheap compared to other cars.

this is part of the issue why these cars run so poorly. power is so easy and relatively cheap to make---that owners neglect suspension parts, and light weight parts to drop weight off the car---i'm just as guilty as anyone of this

bow down to the awesome power potential of the terminator with the stock longblock. my plans to go compound boost (twin turbos compounded with my twinscrew blower) are still in order---and i might begin to start collecting parts next spring/summer. i haven't decided whether or not i want to build a 'nuc-proof' bottom end first, or just get the system running first with moderate boost and the stock bottom end. that and a bit of weight loss with the solid rear, and i'll be set.

who would ever think a FACTORY STOCK longblock could pound out 800rwhp over and over again and live. there are hundreds of these cars driven daily with 600+rwhp and well over 50k miles

Yeah, factory forged pistons and Manley rods would be nice..... :p

They're very impressive, but I wouldn't throw GM under a bus just yet once the aftermarket community sinks their teeth into the new generation of engines & powertrain designed with power (via forced induction) in mind.

They're very impressive, but I wouldn't throw GM under a bus just yet once the aftermarket community sinks their teeth into the new generation of engines & powertrain designed with power (via forced induction) in mind.

Like the 450 hp Ecotec (Solstice GXP) that's completely stock except for a turbo swap? :p

Nice numbers for the Cobra though. That's one of the few mustangs I'd be ok with owning.

not throwing GM under the bus at all, i love my GTO. people argue back and forth about displacement vs. smaller motor with forced induction. "the LSX is much larger than my 4.6 liter" says the ford guy. "put a blower on my LSX motor and see what happens" says the gm guy. up to this point, its been crazy to believe that so many cobras are 600+rwhp with a completely stock longblock. now, with the bigger blowers coming out, many cobras are pushing 700+ rwhp and living reliably without issues. like i said, i'm talking about reliability--plenty are 800rwhp and above and PERHAPS on borrowed time--we'll see--most people who drop the money for big, big blowers or turbos just go the extra mile and get better pistons, rod bolts, and head studs--that's all that you really need. the rods/crank/and block are up for just about anything.

hell, i've got 10 hp shy of 600rwhp and have been running the stock headers, stock clutch/tranny/rearend for just about 2 years

that being said, i'll be looking hard at the new CTS-V once i start my next job---we'll see if the newer motors (LSA and LS9) respond as well to pulley swaps.

not throwing GM under the bus at all, i love my GTO. people argue back and forth about displacement vs. smaller motor with forced induction. "the LSX is much larger than my 4.6 liter" says the ford guy. "put a blower on my LSX motor and see what happens" says the gm guy.

What people should be arguing is BMEP - which factors in torque output and displacement. I used the wrong wording and didn't mean to single you out, but this is one of the first generations of engines from the general that has capable engine & powertrain management, components, design, etc.

up to this point, its been crazy to believe that so many cobras are 600+rwhp with a completely stock longblock. now, with the bigger blowers coming out, many cobras are pushing 700+ rwhp and living reliably without issues. like i said, i'm talking about reliability--plenty are 800rwhp and above and PERHAPS on borrowed time--we'll see--most people who drop the money for big, big blowers or turbos just go the extra mile and get better pistons, rod bolts, and head studs--that's all that you really need. the rods/crank/and block are up for just about anything.

It would be nice if say the Camaro had an SS option including a derivation of the new FI 8 that was just as competely priced as the Cobra was.

hell, i've got 10 hp shy of 600rwhp and have been running the stock headers, stock clutch/tranny/rearend for just about 2 years

that being said, i'll be looking hard at the new CTS-V once i start my next job---we'll see if the newer motors (LSA and LS9) respond as well to pulley swaps.

To put that into engineering perspective, thats roughly 20bar BMEP. An EvoX, from the factory, is rated at 25.5bar. Some food for thought....

Dont be fooled by the Manley name, the stuff in the Cobra is on the cheap end of their inventory, especially the rods, No lie............

the rods are the most expensive thing in the motor. check into "iron fist, lead foot"---ford had huge difficuties keeping rods inside the block. reluctantly, they spent big bucks (in mass production car terms) on the rods--it was a real dilemma for them. the rods are solid.

• 4 weeks later...
the most common breakdown i hear from 03/04 cobra guys is about breaking pistons. Mainly when they run thier roots type on top end high speed runs. You can't put that much heat into a motor for an extended amount of time, forged or not.

the most common breakdown i hear from 03/04 cobra guys is about breaking pistons. Mainly when they run thier roots type on top end high speed runs. You can't put that much heat into a motor for an extended amount of time, forged or not.

They have bad head cooling from the factory which is an easy fix. The reason pistons go is because of the added heat created by a top end run coupled by the tight piston to wall clearences of the forged bottom end. Tight clearences and too much heat (expansion) = boom

They have bad head cooling from the factory which is an easy fix. The reason pistons go is because of the added heat created by a top end run coupled by the tight piston to wall clearences of the forged bottom end. Tight clearences and too much heat (expansion) = boom

yes. ford never imagined (or maybe they did) that TONS of people with cobras would add 120rwhp with a simple pulley intake and exhaust. they figured most cobra owners would be like (most) vette owners--older guys with no desire to hear their pistons slapping in the bores on cold starts because piston-to-wall clearances.

so ford made the piston to wall clearance 0.001 to 0.002. the motors that are closer to 0.002 can withstand the heat that comes with multiple back-to-back highway blasts to 140+mph, combined with poor coolant clearance from the back of the driver's side head (by cylinders #7 and 8, which are the most common to expand and scuff the bore).

the motors that check in at 0.001 can go boom even at stock levels with improper driving. and the head cooling mod helps limit the possibilty of this happening. i put the head cooling mod on my car when i installed the whipple, but i don't drive my car like an idiot.